Saturday, September 09, 2006

Besan Dosai - Breakfast !!

besan dosa with corn topping
This is recipe that I read long back in vikatan. Vikatan is a very popular local magazine in Tamil nadu which is thankfully availabe digitally. The author of the recipe was a dietician, I forgot her name. She says that ther is no excuse for not having a breakfast and this besan dosa is a fast and easy way to eat a wholesome breakfast.


dosa
The preparation is very simple.
1. First heat the dosa tava.
2. Mix besan, pinch of hing( asafoetida ), pinch of baking soda and salt.
3. To that add finely chopped green chillies, grated ginger and grated garlic. Add chopped onion as well
4. Add water and mix to the consistency of dosa/cake batter.
5. Take a laddle and spread. Turnover and allow to cook both sides.

The best side dish is the tangy spicy tomato/onion chutney. I did not have green chillies, onions or tomato :(. So I added frozen corn as topping for the besan dosa and had coconut chutney as side dish. Protein from dosa, fibre from corn is a very good way to start the day with !!! Dont forget to add pinch of hing and/or garlic. It will help to avoid the flatulence associated with the besan.

dosai dosai


Thought this would be a nice entry for WBB by Nandita

15 Comments:

At 1:35 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really is a simple and quick recipe....I call it "Vegetable omlette".

 
At 3:30 PM PDT , Blogger FH said...

Man! I WANT it , I WANT it NOW!!
Revathi, donot tempt me like this !!! Boo Hooo :D

 
At 3:36 PM PDT , Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Very neat and simple recipe Revathy. Quick to make on week ends.. I think I will make it for dinner. Tomato chutney will be an excellent combination I think. Thanks for the recipe.

 
At 11:12 PM PDT , Blogger Maneka Nirmal said...

hey revathy..the dosa looks good and different..wanna try that ..thanks for sharing..

 
At 8:31 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. I have made "Cheela" before,will try this one out soon.

 
At 9:02 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A pretty simple one on a lazy day. Thnx for sharing.

 
At 9:13 AM PDT , Blogger Vaishali said...

Great photographs, Revathi. And the coconut chutney looks good too.

 
At 12:48 PM PDT , Blogger Prema Sundar said...

I have tagged u Revathi for meme.Just check my blog.

 
At 6:57 PM PDT , Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Revathi,
"Besan Dosai" looks soooo delicious. Thanks for sharing. Good recipe for weekend breakfast.

 
At 11:25 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes make this, but add tomatoes to it as well. It's a lovely breakfast...

 
At 11:29 AM PDT , Blogger Syam said...

i just had my lunch...irundhaalum itha paartha udaney pasikudhu :-)

 
At 4:39 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I add grated carrots and scallions to this recipe too.

 
At 6:16 AM PDT , Blogger Krithika said...

Besan dosa with corn topping is a great idea. Thanks for sharing

 
At 11:53 AM PDT , Blogger Mahek said...

thanks for your recipe!!!
i add tomatoes to this recipe and call it tomato omelette....
you will find it on my blog , read it if you have time..

 
At 9:01 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revathi, how much of besan do you add??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home