Saturday, June 02, 2007

Scraping through...RCI Andhra

Life is pretty hectic... So many things are going on and the blog has taken a back seat... Looks like every now and then I need a push to do a post.

gongura pachadi

This time the push was to take part in RCI-Andhra no matter what ! Andhra cuisine is very very close to me that I am married to an Andhraite. I love to cook but was never able to impress him with my cooking because food as I love it is completely different from what he relishes. Those were the days when I was completely oblivious of the Food Blogosphere and wondering how gongura leaves would be like, Is thota koora a kura ( curry ) or a leaf !!! Bobbatlu, Chakli, Garelu, gutti vankaya were alll frightening nightmares !

Now I am a bit used to his version of Andhra food thanks to my sister in law, his grandmother and ofcourse the food blog world !!!

I originally wanted to post two very authentic dishes for RCI, but I needed Ravi's help to prepare it. So now I am racing the clock for the event, I decided I will post them separately.

The dish I chose is nevertheless one of the most authentic dishes of Andhra. I remember carrying a biggg bunch of Gongura back from Bay area on our way back to Reno where we used to live. With no idea of what do with it, I rang up my sil who knew exactly where I was in Andhra cooking as started with... Keep a pan like kadai on stove, heat two tablespoons oil....With her help I churned out the first batch of Gongura pachadi successfully !!

This time around when I wanted to do it I turned to Mahanandi. I was so mesmerized by the picture for the post I wanted to recreate the whole plate. So I made Gongura pachadi, Kaakarakaya fry, brocholi dal Broccoli dal and rasam.

Here is my contribution to RCI-Andhra Gongura pachadi - Hopefully I still have time to particiate !!

gongura leaves

- Separate the leaves from a bunch of Gongura leaves.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to a pan and saute the leaves till the wilt around a minute
- Transfer to a plate
- To the same pan add one clove of garlic, 5 green chillies and one small onion chopped.
- Cool and coarsely grind with salt.

A few more pics

gongura leaves
Gongura leaves sauteed ready to grind
Prepared the bittergourd fry according to Kay & Indira's instructions
Cut the bittergourd - marinate in salt, chillipowder, turmeric and 2 tbl oil - Bake in oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees - broil at 420 degrees for 6 minutes. Crisp bittergourd ready
Broccoli dal is simple. Just pressure cooked 10 florets with a cup of toor dal, 3 cloves garlic, turmeric and tempered.
gongura leaves
Great food today !! Rasam, Broccoli dal, Gongura pachadi, bittergourd fry with rice

18 Comments:

At 3:13 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!looks delicious revathi:) Are gongura & sorrel the same? unga photovai parthu, ennakku gongura ( never eaten it!)cook seyya aasaiya irrukku!!
paati

 
At 3:27 PM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

Paati

thats right sorrel and gongura r the same. u should try it its very good for health. with hot rice and a dollop of ghee it makes a complete meal -

 
At 3:54 PM PDT , Blogger FH said...

Do you mean Broccoli dal? Or is there something called Brocholli too?
I have never cooked with Gongura,looks delicious.I do have a Gongura bottled pickle.Very sour ,isn't it? I like it.Bitter melon dish is mouthwatering.Enjoy:))

 
At 4:30 PM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

he he heee Asha my bad english it is Broccoli Will change it :)

 
At 6:54 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks lovely. Can I come over? Esp. for the gongura. :) I luuuuurve Gongura. Havent seen it this part of the town. But I do have the bottled pickle to keep me company. ;)

Thanks for the lovely spread Revathi.

-Mathy

 
At 7:54 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revathi, padaharanala achha telugu ammayivi antaaru ninnu, ee bhojanam chusina vaaru evarina.:)

Gongura certainly makes people go ga ga..., great spead for RCI-Andhra.

 
At 8:56 PM PDT , Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Yeah me too. never cooked gongura.. but my husband loves the store bought gongura pickle. lovely spread Revathi.

 
At 9:48 PM PDT , Blogger Sig said...

Revathi, that plate looks delicious, especially the bitter gourd fry. Great entry for the RCI...

 
At 10:27 PM PDT , Blogger Viji said...

Nice recipes Revathi. Its mouth watering. viji

 
At 6:41 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all looks great, and gongura pachadi particularly beautiful Revathi... if mine grows, will surely try this. I never thought to add broc. to dal. Maybe I could get my kids to eat that -- they like broc. Great idea, thanks! :)

 
At 9:19 AM PDT , Blogger Bharathy said...

Nice traditional recipe..
Me too in the same boat..less time to blog,,the factor pushing me to post ,is the Tamil cuisine Portal and the essence of kerala Cuisine..even the fabulous events around don't push me though..

 
At 7:20 PM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

You are welcome anytime Mathy..



Mee lanti telugu ammayi adhi cheppadam naaku chaala santhosham Indira !!

Thanks Prema. Ravi loves that pickle too

I am hooked to oven method of preparation Sig. You should try it too

Thanks Viji

What you are growing Gongura ???? Oh my God. Actually Linda the taste of broc is not at all conspicous, I could make Ravi a staunch anti-Broccolist eat it :))

Thanks for your support Bharathy

 
At 1:06 AM PDT , Blogger Roopa said...

gongura pachadi looks delicious! i too louv this dish. nice entry!

 
At 11:44 AM PDT , Blogger Sharmi said...

hey I had a tough time finding Gongura all over NJ and finally quit. it was not the season. lucky you. nice recipe and awesome palate. makes me hungry.

 
At 6:36 PM PDT , Blogger Shah cooks said...

so what is the US name for gongura, madame?finally who did the cooking.. u or hub? that bittergourd fry is a constant in my house.

 
At 6:46 AM PDT , Blogger Kribha said...

Your plate is full of comfort food. Thanks for posting this authentic recipe. I will surely try this. Do post the recipe for broccoli dal sometime.

 
At 2:51 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummmy ...loved the way you have served the dishes

 
At 9:19 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried the gongura chutney as per ur recipe & for the first time in my life, I liked gongura chutney... :) I almost always prepare dhal using it as I never liked the chutney...Thanks a ton for the recipe...:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home