Sunday, April 02, 2006

Thai Chicken - My Version

Ravi and I love thai food. After we moved to Bay area a few months ago, we were longing for the lovely thai food that we had relished in Reno. Atlast we found one. With great expectations we went to the restaurant and in an effort to go on low-fat diet Ravi asked the waiter "Can you suggest some dish that is not deep fried ?"

The waiter thought and thought and after a while he suggested a dish that I already wanted to order. Any other suggestions Ravi asked - "No thats the only one I can think of" was the response of the waiter.

So we decided not to eat Thai food outside ( Well, atleast for sometime ). But we had to indulge in Thai food - So I came up with this Thai dish with the familiar ingredients in thai food - basil, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Ravi really enjoyed the outcome.

Ingredients
Marinade - 3 cloves garlic finely chopped, 1" peeled ginger finely chopped, A bunch of basil roughly chopped, soy sauce 3 tbp, chilli sauce 2 tbsp, oyster sauce two tsp
Chicken - 1 pound breast meat
Veggies - any of these veggies - bamboo shoots, snap peas, sliced carrots, bell peppers, onions.

MarinadeMarinade

1. Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces. Take a big ziplog throw in the marinade items together along with the chicken & veggies. Marinate in the fridge for atleast 2 hours. ( I marinated mine overnight )

2. Remove the veggies from the marinade-mix and pop the rest into the oven covered with a alumininum foil for 30 mins at 400 degrees.

3. Remove the foil add the veggies and again into the oven for another 20 mins at 450 degrees. ( without the foil this time )

4. Add some fresh basil and serve over hot rice.


thai chicken

9 Comments:

At 6:12 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Delicious!!!!!

 
At 5:39 PM PDT , Blogger Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hi Revathi,

Good to see someone around Bay area. I live at Sanjose. Happy Blogging:)

 
At 11:58 AM PDT , Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Revathi:Welcome to blogging world. You got cool blog going.
I love thai food, it looks very delicious.

 
At 8:36 PM PDT , Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Revathi: I have you tagged, come visit me to find about it!!!

 
At 9:02 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Revathi! Read your profile - Anbe Sivam is one of my all-time favorite movies too.

Yeah, there's not a lot of good Thai food in the Bay Area. What I can recommend if you have the time, are classes with Kasma Loha-Unchit. She has been teaching Thai cooking out of her home in the East Bay for over 20 years, and is just amazing. I've taken everything she offers (her site is: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/). The classes fill up, but there's a waiting list and things do open up. When I'm not cooking Indian (which is almost every day now...), I cook Thai. And although there aren't many great restaurants here, there are lots of SE Asian ingredients available in markets.

I have heard that "Citizen Thai and the Monkey" in SF isn't too bad as far as restaurant Thai, but haven't tried it.

OK, long posting. I love your blog!

 
At 3:24 PM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

Thank you very much for the post Diane. Let me check that website you sent, Thanks for visiting my blog - keep coming - Revathi

 
At 10:18 AM PDT , Blogger Ayesha Seerin said...

I love thai food too ... I got peanut oil just to try out thai food ..I like your version .. Will try it...

 
At 8:02 PM PDT , Blogger Shashi Bellamkonda said...

Hi Revathi,

We made this recipe twice at home. i have also asked Guy Kawasaki to add this blog to food.alltop.com. keep the recipes coming . is a book project on the way?

I have a food blog at eatcurry.blogspot.com and have featured your post there.

Shashi

 
At 7:52 AM PDT , Blogger Shashi Bellamkonda said...

Happy to report your blog is now part of http://food.alltop.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home