Saturday, June 16, 2007

Yennai Kathirikai Kozhambu & Jasmines

Yennai kathirikai kozhambu - ( Vankaya pulusu ) - Hmm in English if I were to translate it will be Eggplant curry sauce in oil !!

This is the dish I chose for JFI-Brinjal. Anyways there is a lot of misconception I have seen in the blog world about this dish.. This dish is not a stuffed eggplant recipe. Its often often mistaken for Andhra gutti vankaya koora - the famous sesame-peanut-stuffed-eggplant recipe.



Yennai kathirikai kozhambu - Brinjal curry sauce in Oil - JFI - Eggplant


All good things are simple - so is yennai kathirikai kozhambu.. But let me warn you before hand. This recipe calls for a lotttt of oil. The soft whole scored eggplant soaked in the honey-like spicy sauce wakes up the most sober palatte. Here is the recipe without much ado.

From the pantry:
fenugreek
mustard
cumin
tamarind
gingelly oil
onion
sambar powder - if no sambar powder add chilly powder and coriander powder ratio 1:2
turmeric

From the Fridge:
round brinjals ( eggplant )
tomato
curry leaves




1. Soak a big lime sized tamarind ball in water.
2. Chop one indian-medium sized onion
3. Chop one medium sized tomato
4. Remove the stalks of brinjals, and slit them vertically but not till the end leaving the brinjal whole.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a kadai
6. Temper oil with half tsp each of fenugreek, mustard, one tsp of cumin and 7 to 8 curry leaves.
7. Add the chopped onion when the mustard splutters and saute for a minute
8. Add two more tablespoons oil and add the brinjals . I actually added 1/3rd cup :)
9. Saute for another couple of minutes.
10. Add quarter teaspoon turmeric, two teaspoons sambar powder.
11. Close and cook in medium low heat without adding any water. Cook until brinjals are half done. For approximately 15 minutes
12. Add chopped tomato and after a minute of sauteing, add salt and one and half cups water
13. Cook for another 10 minutes until honey like consistency.

Serve hot with idlies, rice. Best next day. !!




Jaadhi Malli - Chinese jasmine( Jaaji malli, Chameli ) Picked up during one of our morning strolls

11 Comments:

At 10:17 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Revathi, forgive me but I just have to ask: exactly how big is an "indian-medium sized" onion?? I've been winging it all this time ;)

Brinjals look completely mouthwatering... could have some for b'fast tmo! And your jasmine bouquet is lovely :)

 
At 10:40 PM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

Linda
Indian medium sized is much smaller than what I find here in USA. Everything is sooooo much bigger here. Indian onion size would be probably half to three fourth the size of the big onions that we get here :)

Probably the size of the biggest eggplant u see on the picture.. Hope it helps !!!

 
At 11:12 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love this dish,revathi:)infact i love almost all types of puli kozhumbhu! & make it often at home! Your jaadi malli looks beautiful .I love malli poo & though i can buy the gundu malli here, its been a long time since i have come across jaadi malli.
paati

 
At 1:42 AM PDT , Blogger Vini K said...

Hi Revathi,can I have some of that pulusu curry please?:D I love brinjal in any form..and your jasmine looks beautiful.reminds me of the loads of flowers we get in Andhra all year round,to tie into strings and adorn our hair with:)

 
At 2:25 AM PDT , Blogger Viji said...

Beautiful flowers with interesting Recipe Revathi. Viji

 
At 7:19 AM PDT , Blogger FH said...

Hi Revathi.Love the dish.I am so glad she chose Eggplants!:))
Brinjal looks great.I will try,thanks.
Happy Father's day to your hubby:))

 
At 2:38 PM PDT , Blogger Suganya said...

Which flower should I look at, the eggplant or the jasmine... I can almost smell the jasmine :)

 
At 3:50 PM PDT , Blogger Sharmi said...

the jasmine and yennai kathirikai looks awesome. lovely.
btw masala pal is my favorite.

 
At 8:46 AM PDT , Blogger marriedtoadesi.com said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 10:35 AM PDT , Blogger Lucky said...

Man !! I can't believe it. What a professional photograph.
I am wondering out of all the hunger how did u getthe patience to make all these and took photo before eating. I appreciate that.
That Onion flower. Fantastic. how did u grow it.
Did u plant an onion thats it ?
just curious!!!

 
At 9:32 AM PDT , Blogger SEARCHING FOR JASMINE POLYANTHUM IN INDIA said...

Hello there,

I love that plants flowers and would love to buy if i get one thats a chinese jasmine (jaadhi malli) if i am not wrong

Please some one can tell me where i can get that in India ???

you can email me

khanindia12@gmail.com

Regards
sam

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home