Friday, April 07, 2006

End of the Week - Soya Fritters ( Vadai )

Whew, I am really relieved that this week is coming to an end. Been really busy - But always sneaked-in some time too see other food-bloggers' sites - Too good to miss ;)

Hey ! I found out just now Kitchenmate has included me in her meme. Been here just over 2 weeks ! Thank you kitchen mate :) :)

Well for this weekend I made soya fritters today. I saw this recipe a long time ago in Nutrela website and impressed by the nutrient content of the dish. I did not want to use bengal gram because simply I did not have time wait until its soaked. So I used Udaichakadalai ( or pottu kadalai ) - That is putnaalupappu in Telugu and Dhalia in hindi and Roasted chick peas( click here for the nutrition info) in English. Also I found adding dhalia makes the vada / fritters crispy.


Ingredients
Ingredients

- soaked soya chunks/granules ( around 12 ) - if you have no time to soak pour hotwater over the soya and let it sit for 10 mins
- roasted chickpeas one handful ground in a coffee grinder
- onion 1/2 of a medium sized onion finely chopped
- ginger garlic paste half tsp
- green chillies chopped ( optional ) - number depends on how hot you want I would add 1 chilly
- cilantro chopped ( optional )
- garam masala powder half tsp ( optional )

Balls ready to be flattened and friedBalls Ready to be flattened and fried

1) Grind the soaked soya chunks, ginger and garlic, chillies in a blender - with very little water

2) Add the roasted chickpeas powder the ground paste ( its ok if its coarse)and mix well without lumps.

3) Add chopped onions, cilantro, garammasala powder and salt

4) Make into round balls of equal size and flatten it out in the palm of your hands and deep fry in oil.

5) Njoy with ketchup or any chutney
halved fritters with ketchup

9 Comments:

At 2:24 PM PDT , Blogger Vineela said...

HI,
i like soya chunks .
Nice idea.
Vineela

 
At 4:08 PM PDT , Blogger Priya said...

a very innovative recipe.. love the soya fritters .. they look delicious can wait to taste em.. shall try making it soon.. thank u for the recipe

 
At 6:00 PM PDT , Blogger Tanuja said...

I love soya chunks this idea of urs is cool.

 
At 7:03 PM PDT , Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Neat recipe and goes to my "must do's". I always try to include soyachunks regularly in our cooking. I am certain to try it (**deep frying***)

 
At 3:12 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Great idea. Neat work.

 
At 9:34 AM PDT , Blogger Sumi said...

the picture makes me want to try this cool dish.good one.

 
At 5:07 AM PDT , Blogger Vaishali said...

Good picture of the vadai, Revathi. I saw it at Anthony's Curry Mela and got curious. I am adding you to my blog roll. Hope you don't mind.

 
At 2:55 PM PDT , Blogger Jayashree said...

I tried it today, Revathi....but mine literally went to pieces. It separated in the oil...don't know why. That's only made me more determined to try it again so I can get it right. However, it still tastes good. Can't call mine fritters,though...will have to think up a different name.

 
At 10:15 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. very nice picture. I tried it today. Mine got separated to pieces (as Jayashree's). I added gram flour and got it right! Taste so good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home