Sunday, June 17, 2007

Masaala Pal & Happy Fathers' Day !!

This recipe I posted originally for JFI-Milk... This post represents just a sample of what Appa is to us. Thank you Appa for everything you have done to us and for everything you are still doing for us...Happy Fathers' Day !!


Masaala Paal ( Masaala milk) is very famous amongst the road-side vendors specially during the night times. Milk is heated till some of the water content is evaporated then various spices like clove, cardamom are added and the milk is sweetened.

Ok. Back from my side-track about the masala paal. On days that my father has enough patience at home and peace in mind he used to prepare masala paal at home to drink just before sleeping. He would meticulously heat the pasumpaal ( Cow's milk which is bought from our neighbours who have cattle ) until it is thick. Then he will add strands of kashmir saffron, kalkandu ( sugar candy ), powdered cardamom and powdered badaam powder.

He will heat it until the sugar candies have dissolved and then he will cool it down by transferring the milk to and from a bigger vessel ( called aatharadhu in tamil ) and give me, my sister and my amma glassfuls of milk. The taste of the thick, rich, frothy, fragrant and sweet warm milk still lingers at the tip of my tongue.

We would be sooooo full of sleep that we will gulp down the milk with closed eyes. And my father will not stop there. He will get the emptied milk glasses from me (and sometimes from my elder sister) and then give us some water to gargle so that we dont have sweet sticking to our teeth ( lest we have tooth decay )..

No thanks nothing.. My sleep would be by that time further deepened by the milk. This months' JFI by Vineela is a tribute to all the pains taken by my father at the end of his busy day to nourish us with - Masaala Paal, Masala milk.

9 Comments:

At 1:09 PM PDT , Blogger FH said...

I remember this Masala pal when you posted last year!!
Wish Vineela would start blogging again!Have fun Revathi.

 
At 2:55 PM PDT , Blogger Suganya said...

True Asha.. Vineela stopped blogging after JFI milk round-up... Shes one of my fav bloggers till date...

Revathi, I love this masala pal. I din't have the luxury of masala pal everyday though. It was cool plain milk with nothing in it.. Thtz the way i preferred it during summer nights. But I cannot take plain milk here in the US. I cannot stand its taste..

 
At 4:13 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post...

 
At 6:42 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lovely story you related, Revathi, thanks for sharing it. Amazing how food (mostly the scent, I guess, for me) is such a memory trigger.

Thanks for the onion answer too -- yes, that helps! There is definitely a misguided "bigger is better" culture at work here -- then we wonder why kids are growing up with weight issues. The smaller onions in bags are still pretty big, aren't they. Big ones are good if you're cooking for a crowd tho ;)

 
At 8:59 AM PDT , Blogger Shah cooks said...

masala paal is my favorite bedtime drink..do u use badam powder or fresh badam?regards to ur appa.:)

 
At 9:36 AM PDT , Blogger USHA said...

Masala Pal looks gr8..yeah i remember Madurai after seeing that...becoz that is where i taste dit first in my childhood.
When we whole family went to Tour, we got chance to taste it there...in road side vendor...

 
At 10:25 AM PDT , Blogger ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
Masala paal looks delicious....Nice picture!!

 
At 1:09 AM PDT , Blogger Roopa said...

wonderfull writeup revathi!Thats so much true.

 
At 8:45 AM PDT , Blogger marriedtoadesi.com said...

Beautiful story. Should be in a magazine.

Love the recipe, will definitely make for my parents! bookmarked.
Kanchana

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home