Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Mango Pachadi

This is a sweet and sour and spicy dish that I simply loveeeddd as a kid and still do. The taste of this dish takes me right to Chennai to my home :) I love sucking on to the mango seed that is soaked in the seasoned jaggery juices. Nostalgic !!!

After I made maamidikaya pappu (mango dhal) yesterday I saved half of a mango for this pachadi.

The nice things about this pachadi is that it has very very few ingredients, incredibly no-brainer dish ( I never ever missed the original taste ) and a kid-pleaser. I would also advocate for this dish that its a better alternative for jams as it has jaggery instead of sugar.

Call me crazy I love to have this pachadi as a side-dish to sambar rice, yoghurt rice and rasam rice. I guess everyone has their own crazy combinations which is not very appetizing to the rest of the world.

I really dont know whether it can be called "chutney" - It is kind of but not very similar in taste to the famous "Mango chutney" that is served in some Indian restaurants nor am I sure about the ingredients in that other chutney.

So without much more ado, here is the recipe :

Ingredients
Ingredients

- Half of a raw Mango chopped into small pieces with the seed. Seed is optional
- 2 tbs of Jaggery
- Tempering: 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp jeera, 2 dried red chillies, few curry leaves
- turmeric

Boiling pachadi
1) Boil the mango pieces with little bit of turmeric and little water

2) Meanwhile, dissolve the jaggery by boiling it in little water, cool and strain it to remove any impurities

3) Heat oil in a kadai, add oil and temper it by adding the mustard, jeera, red chillies and curry leaves

4) Add jaggery water and mashed mango pieces & salt to taste. Add the jaggery water little by little to make sure that the dish does not become not too sweet.

5) After it thickens to consistency of jam remove from heat and enjoy !!!!

Pachadi with Seed
Variations

- For a rather smooth texture, use peeled mango pieces
- Including the seed is optional

7 Comments:

At 8:06 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting combination. I'll certainly try your recipe, Revathi.

 
At 2:01 AM PDT , Blogger sailu said...

Wish you and your family a Happy Tamil New Year,Revathi.
This is a new recipe to me which I intend trying.Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:49 PM PDT , Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Revathi: We make almost similar version with a little neem flowers for our traditional manga pachadi that we prepare for "chithirai varusha pirapu"
They taste great and i definitely had plans to blog abt it sometime:)

 
At 11:24 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site dodge durango super charger gre exam registrar Sensuous black wisconsin babes awning www.cheap-priced-awning.com Hampton inn dublin oh maryland car accident legal http://www.used-suzuki.info/buyingoemsoftware.html Larry roche chevrolet fantasy basketball Delonghi convection toaster oven - 0.8 cu. ft. http://www.dodgediplomat.info/dodge_neon.html dodge collectable 1965 chrysler windsor Domain domainname weiterleiter domain name computer chair

 
At 10:26 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

this just makes me want it instantaeously...let me go cook the same

 
At 3:24 PM PDT , Blogger Jen Kumar said...

Revathi, You saying you have weird combinations- eating this pachadi with curd rice, then I knew I had to try it. Seems we have some similiar unique tastes. I made your recipe and it took me back to my stay in Chennai. And with the curd rice... sooooo tasty!!! Thanks Jayanthi

 
At 12:36 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Revathi,

One small variation. Cooked the mango in sambar powder & the taste was amazing

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home