Sunday, June 24, 2007

Onion greens & Strawberries




What do you do when you are very hungry you can eat **anything** and ravage the fridge to find "Absolutely Nothin " [ read Rush Hour style ].

Thats what happend to me last Saturday. Generally when I am hungry I hardly have any patience. I get into the "Grrrrrrrr" mode. Ravi knows that is the time to be as faaaar away as possible from me... I have really worked on this bad habit of mine and now I am more patient when I am hungry. But then I dont have much choice !!!!

So this is what I did -

Washed and added a cup of rice, 3/4th cup of toor dal. Then I added the following
- peeled onion chopped into 4
- halved tomatoes. I had two so used them up
- 3 garlic cloves
- one teaspoon chilli powder
- half teaspoon turmeric.

Pressure cooked with 3 cups of water for three whistles and let it sit for a while. It took about 15 minutes.

I wanted to add some veggie but with absolutely no veggies at home, I was thinking what to do - then I remembered the onion plants I had planted a while ago. Snip snip snip I cut quite a few leaves.

And while the rice was getting cooked, tempered a couple of teaspoons of oil with cumin, mustard and added two handfuls of chopped onion leaves. Sauteed for a minute and added tamarind puree to it. Probably 1/4th cup. Added this mixture to the rice after
the pressure had released from the cooker. Added some salt. Voila !!

I really really did not think it will turn out this good. It was a bit of kichidi and bit of sambar rice. I was really pleased with the way it tasted so I thought it was worthy of a post...I loved the end result, I even managed a foto. And then since I used the onion leaves that I grew, it also qualified for GBP -



onion leaves



onion flower- GBP Green Blog Project



Strawberries from farmers' market - Drizzled with honey garnished with home grown mint

19 Comments:

At 8:15 AM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

I know what a Grrr, i am hungry mood is ! First i thought you made a khichdi with strawberries in it ( I looked at the pic, and mistook tomatoes for berries ). Well now i know !Onion flower looks so pretty.

By archana, at 7:28 AM PDT

 
At 9:11 AM PDT , Blogger bee said...

that's a wonderful creation, revathi.

i commend you for not raiding the freezer for icecream! :-D

 
At 12:29 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Revathi -- this is my kind of cooking (meaning using anything I can find around)! I do it often out of desparation, though it hardly ends up looking as tasty as your creation! Onion flower is so lovely, and those strawberries, wow!

 
At 2:06 PM PDT , Blogger Suganya said...

I would have settled for a bowl of cereal (even for dinner :D)

Onion flowers photo looks professional. I have never seen an onion flower before.

 
At 11:05 PM PDT , Blogger Roopa said...

those onion flowers photos looks excellent. nice creation revathi!

 
At 6:06 AM PDT , Blogger Sharmi said...

yummy looking rice. would love it with some vadagam.

 
At 7:56 AM PDT , Blogger archana said...

How did this happen, did i metamorphize into you over the past weekend? Look at my first comment !

 
At 9:49 AM PDT , Blogger Shah cooks said...

As RP would say it, when u are hungry, u could always order pizza. hi hi!anyway, love ur onion flower phot and the kichdi..there is a saying in mal.. vishanal puli pullum thinnum.followed?

 
At 11:49 AM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

Ha ha ha Archana. I had to delete the post and repost it. But did not want to delete ur comment !!

Bee no icecream in my fridge :)

I absolutely disagree Linda. Your creations are simply superbb...

Yes suganya I do tht all the time. Then the craving for rice hits you.. this is one of thsoe times !!

Thanks roopa & sharmi

Mallu true true have the same one in tamil too. This puli will also eat grass but sometimes the craving hits he he heeee :)

 
At 12:03 PM PDT , Blogger FH said...

What a great combination:))
I go for a peanut butter sandwich!!

 
At 1:17 AM PDT , Blogger Nirmala said...

Revathi, This is a lovely one pot meal. I am also of the same type. When I am hungry I get that same tempo. My mom used to make sambar out of these onion greens. Thats a lovely sambar with idlis. I shall post the recipe when i make it again. My mom has a bunch of jiffy-recipes. I shall try posting them soon.

 
At 7:14 AM PDT , Blogger J said...

This happens to me often! And end up throing in anything I can find to rice :)

 
At 12:00 PM PDT , Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Yes sometimes I go Grrrr too, but look out for something in the freezer.
Onion flowers look wonderful revathi.

 
At 9:24 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great.nothing like creativity to give some flavor to cooking !

 
At 1:19 AM PDT , Blogger Kajal said...

Great dish.....looks delicious.:)

 
At 11:29 PM PDT , Blogger Srivalli said...

Hi Revathi...yes it was me who asked you for help on creating an index for andhra cuisine....now I have created a blog for each Indian cuisine...would be glad if you can give me idea on how to start...

wanted to mail you but couldn't find an email in your blog...If you have time send me a mail with details. at cooking4allseasons@gmail.com

srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

 
At 11:30 PM PDT , Blogger Srivalli said...

Revathi....pls delete the previous comment and this also as its not app here...thanks

srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

 
At 10:36 AM PDT , Blogger Lucky said...

Man !! I can't believe it. What a professional photograph.
I am wondering out of all the hunger how did u getthe patience to make all these and took photo before eating. I appreciate that.
That Onion flower. Fantastic. how did u grow it.
Did u plant an onion thats it ?
just curious!!!

 
At 7:49 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Revathi,
Amazed at the way you have made this dish! Really, it is such fun to see how much one can experiment with food. The onion leaves look fabulous - a winner picture. I am in two minds after reading your post - should I do exactly as you have suggested or should I also experiment :). Wishing you many more of such mad creative moods :). Sounds like a lot of good results guaranteed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home