Monday, December 31, 2007

Revisiting My Blog

( This post was inteded for Nupur's event - I guess I am late. But nevertheless )

I started the blog for quite a few reasons

1. Very Inspired by Indira of Mahanandi
2. My passion for food
3. To engage myself while Ravi is busy with his MBA.
4. To record some family favourites especially low-cholesterol dishes

I remember the evening when I was searching for some telugu recipe and landed at Mahanandi. Looking at the karela neatly arranged on aluminum foil Ravi exclaimed "Now this is what I call passion, not the blog but the quest for perfection !!"

Then I wondered, can I too do this, after all food is something I love deep down. It was the time when Ravi was deeply engrossed with MBA and I had nothing to do except a full time job where I could work from home. Probably a month later I registered en-ulagam.

I have been blogging a little less than two years now and made a few good friends here. My passion & creativity for food continued to grow with food blog events. I became even more busy than Ravi.

Bloglife 2007 has been very good. Here are the highlights

  • I got into the next level of personal association with some blogger friends. I was thrilled to exchange pictures, learn about their families and talk about non-food related subject. I felt like having a pen friend.
  • Recorded some family favorites and my favorites. I just cannot shortlist. Every dish I created was with lots of love for what I did.
  • Inji's loud and clear voice about "Plagiarism". She took my request to announce a Anti-Plagiarism day and we all made a post against yahoo. It was covered by the press.
  • Starting Tamilcuisine with Prema was a very good learning experience. It taught me how to and how not to relate to people - I have to thank Shaheen, Prema and Inji. Thanks to Kanchana and Jasmine for pitching in .
  • I achieved 100000 magic number of visitors to my blog
  • My proud acquiring for my blog my irumbu kadai ( cast iron pan) from my mom.
  • Last but not the least, I was able to pull away myself from participating in blog events. It took too much of my energy, was becoming kind of addiction and with blog events propping up almost every day, it turned out my menu on the real life table was getting dictated by blog events. I had to stop it somewhere. Thanks to work pressure, upcoming india trip, I was able to achieve this.

2008 Bloglife I have a few things to do :

  1. Take a back up of my recipes posted.
  2. Learn food photography tips and tricks
  3. Record more of amma's specialities and the other recipes listed below
  4. I love to host the site on my own web server, I have the know-how to do it but I dont know whether I will have the time. Lets see.
These are the recipes on my to-blog list:

Ammas' specialties
  • Mutton potato drumstick kuruma
  • Keeraithandu mochakottai karakozhambu - Spicy kozhambu made with stem of greens and fieldbeans

  • Pacharisi thengai payasam - Coconut-Rice-Kheer

  • Paruppu urundai kozhambu - Kozhambu made with lentil dumplings

  • Thengai paal sadam - Coconut milk rice

  • Mullangi yera kozhambu - Shrimp radish kozhambu

  • Nethili kuruma - Sardines kuruma

  • Beetroot halwa

  • Gulab jamun

  • Sambar powder recipe

  • Rasam powder recipe

For Ravi
  • Hyderabadi biriyani

  • Erra karam dosa - Dosa smeared with red chilli paste and sprinkled with spiced powders

  • Ravis grandma's Idly karam - I like this one better than my moms'

  • Mokkajonna kudumulu - I got this recipe already need to post it. Indian cousin of tamale.
Healthy stuffies
  • Kalyana murungai - I dont know whether I will even get this greens

  • Keezhanelli urundai - That is what we eat back home when we had jaundice - another greens

  • Veppa urundai - Neem leaves paste - for de-worming

  • Seeraga kashayam - To relieve that bloated feeling made with roasted cumin

  • Nochi ilai aavi - Steaming to relieve sinus block with this leaves.
See you all in the New Year !

Wishing you and your dear ones Good Health, Happiness and success in whatever you do.. Happy New Year !!


13 Comments:

At 12:30 PM PST , Blogger Mansi said...

Hey Revathi, wish you a very Happy and successful 2008!! your recipes have always been something new for me, and I'll keep learning from your blog:)

 
At 12:31 PM PST , Blogger Sig said...

That is a nice roundup of the year Revathi, well written... Happy New Year to you and Ravi..

 
At 10:42 PM PST , Blogger Srivalli said...

Revathi..great post and nice to know that you have listed whats going to come!

Wish you a very happy new year!

 
At 6:10 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice to find your blog and realise it is about Tamil food. I will visit again.

 
At 3:16 PM PST , Blogger Linda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:40 AM PST , Blogger Rajitha said...

nice writre-up ...like things written in point form:)...happy new year to you and ravi :)

 
At 11:05 AM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

I always enjoy visiting your blog Revathi.

 
At 2:27 PM PST , Blogger Dori said...

Happy New Year! Your blog was one of the first I found when I started looking for recipes online :)

 
At 8:15 PM PST , Blogger Sagari said...

nice roundyp revathi happy new year

 
At 7:10 AM PST , Blogger bee said...

may all your hopes and dreams for 2008 come true, dear revathi.

 
At 12:42 PM PST , Blogger FH said...

WOW!! I really loved reading your post and all the things happened in almost 2 years time. Great post.
I was on break since 3 weeks, just posted on last Wednesday after a my first long break since June 2006!:D
I just saw the "shampoo" seed post. My grandpa had a "Seegekai" tree in the estate and my both aunts used to wash their hair with soaked and strained water from those fruits too!
Happy new year to you Rajesh, have a peaceful year.(visit me more too! HeHe!:)

 
At 11:53 PM PST , Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi Revathi,
Beautiful write-up!!! Happy new year:-)

 
At 6:19 AM PST , Blogger Kribha said...

Nice post and enjoyed reading it. That's quite an accomplishement in a little less than two years.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home