Saturday, November 11, 2006

Paruppu Rasam - Dal Rasam


rice with dalrasam, potato fry, coriander chutney

The weather today in Fremont is just like Ooty - cold but not chilly, drizzling and very cozy. I remember the wonderful class trip we had from college to Ooty. We had a very adventurous and spectacular time ! All the nice fights, early morning ooty tea - I became so nostalgic !!! Sigh!

I prepared a simple meal today rasam, potato and coriander chutney. Rasam suits best for any cold weather. The rasam is not like the way my mother prepares it. My amma does not put dal in the rasam and I find it taking altogether a new level when dal is added. The tanginess of the rasam reduces by the addition of dal.

This is how I did it -

  • Boil handful of washed toor dal - Tuvaram paruppu, Kandi pappu in a vessel
  • In another vessel take lime size tamarind, one ripe tomato and squeeze well. Strain and keep aside.
  • Whack 2 garlic pods and add to the tamarind-tomato extract.
  • Heat a tsp of gingelly oil season with mustard, 2 dried red chillies, cumin and curry leaves.
  • Add the tamarind-tomato extract, boiled toor dal with the water
  • Add a tsp of rasam powder ( or pepper jeera powder )
  • When the rasam foams add cilantro/coriander.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home