Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Fish in Banana leaves

Ever since I saw this grilled Trout I wanted to have it with the side salad. However I dont have a grill. I had to rely on the conventional oven but then cooking fish does not take a lot of time. The fish I used was Canadian Mackerel - It was very fleshy. I had 2 fish - Used 2 different types of rubs to suit our individual tastes.

Thank you Sig for the recipe !

Stuffing

1 long green chilli - chopped
5 curry leaves,
3 slices of onion
2 slices of lemon





Rub the outside of the fish with a thick paste of red chilli, turmeric, salt and lemon and stuff with all under stuffing.

I rubbed another fish with pepper powder, cumin powder, salt and lemon and the same stuffing except the chillies

Wrapped them in banana leaves and enclosed in aluminium wraps just like Sig blogged. Left the fish packets for an hour to marinate before popping them inside the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then opened the packet and broiled it for 4 minutes to crisp up the skin. I served with a simple garden salad with corn with a home made yoghurt dressing.



It was very filling - I think it would make a good lunch than a dinner because it felt a little heavy.


We finished the salad with a sorakai halwa ( Duddhi, Bottlegourd ). Grate 1 bottlegourd and saute with one teaspoon of ghee until most of the water is evaporated. Use a low heat. Add 2 and half tablespoon of sugar and keep sauteing until more of the water evaporates. Add another 2 teaspoon of ghee and keep sauteing until all the water evaporates. The whole halwa will roll like a ball without sticking to the pan. Sprinkle a couple of pinches of cardamom powder. Serve with crushed almonds.

The taste was very very good. But I might not do it often because for one bottlegourd it took almost 3 tablespoon of sugar. Ravi and I shared it.


7 Comments:

At 11:06 PM PST , Blogger Sig said...

Hey Revathi, glad you enjoyed the recipe.. I have never had Canadian Mackerel, looks really yummy!

 
At 5:13 AM PST , Blogger Padmaja said...

Canadian Mackerel sounds delicious!!! Love the way you made it!!

 
At 8:04 AM PST , Blogger Finla said...

My hubby love them.
Nice way of making them

 
At 9:09 AM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

akka..banana leaf enga vanginai?

 
At 12:03 PM PST , Blogger Sagari said...

baked fish looks so yummyyyy and very healthy recipe

 
At 6:22 AM PST , Blogger Pooja said...

I am a vegeterian but I read your whole recipe , coz you reminded me of India very much by showing that banana leaf.Also i lovethe idea of baking anything in kitchen rather than deep fry.
Thank for sharing Revathi.
The event which you missed last year is back on my blog again. perhaps this time you won't like to miss it. :) .
check it if you have time.
-Pooja

 
At 6:15 AM PST , Blogger Kribha said...

That plate looks like the one we get in restaurants. Beautiful presentation. I'll surely try this soon. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home