Sunday, January 06, 2008

Rain rain go away ! Come again another day!

We had a storm this weekend here in the bay area. But by any standards much much lighter version than those that we have in India. Rain back home is an experience - the battering noise against concrete, the coconut- and palm trees swaying in the fierce winds, hissing of the winds and water rolling and flowing - Its such a beauty.

This is the blissful part of rains in India


But having saying that, its a totally different story from the other side of the window. Its a nightmare getting back from school/college/office. You have my condolences if you traveling in the state-owned buses. Like a true martyr you would be trying to defend yourself from the water dripping in from all sides. With some luck the windows might close. The streets will be flooded with just 15 minutes of lashing rains because of the failed drainage system. The flooded roads just makes the unclosed manholes and other dangers invisible. Not to forget that all sorts of dung would be by now mixed into the flooded rains. For those of you who think I am exaggerating see this video.



So for us with such adventurous experiences this recent storm in the bay area was childs play !! Really.. Seeing the local news covering close ups of branches falling, power cuts and fallen waste bins minute by minute as if it was an emergency was like comedy to me.

I went to office without an umbrella and truly enjoyed the faint reminder of the indian rain here. We had friends over on saturday and had mirchi bajji and samosas with hot tea. Then we got a good movie and watched over dinner. I bought fish and a lot of goodies for cooking over the week. I prepared it per Sig's recipe - that is another post.
Here is what I bought to cook over the week from Coconut Hill goodies from kerala is their speciality.


Purchase for the week
- Drumstick leaves, plantain, banana blosom, green tamarind, sprouted channa, uppu manga( Mango in brine ) and rosamatta rice. I forgot to include snakegourd, fish and malabar spinach. I think I bought way more than I can cook in a week. Lets see.


Kanji Uppumanga - Inspired by Shn - Mishmash's Kanji & Payar

Last but not the least after the mirchi bajjis and samosas I had to have something light for dinner. I made a light gruel with the broken rosamatta rice and relished it with uppu manga. (Mango slices in brine ) - Heavenly..

10 Comments:

At 11:50 PM PST , Blogger Srivalli said...

ehmm...those are such wonderful items you got there...looking at the vazhi puuv, reminds of vazhaka vada...

abt the rains, yes we have had an usual shower of rains this time...it can't be called shower, rather it just poured!

 
At 4:21 AM PST , Blogger indosungod said...

Rains in India is a great experience if you have a dry cozy spot and some warm milagai bajjis but the reality for millions of people is a disruption to lives and livelihood.

And I like the fact that in the US things like these are taken seriously, back in India nobody seems to care :( but things are improving, the drains are kept clean atleast in most places so the stagnation of water was minimal and the city returned to normal almost as soon as the rains stopped (I was there during the 3 day non stop rains), if you are wondering I am talking about CBE here.

 
At 5:19 AM PST , Blogger FH said...

I miss the smell of freshly soaked Earth!! We had icy cold rain here, not a thing to enjoy!:D

 
At 5:22 AM PST , Blogger EC said...

U seem to have stocked a lot of healthy stuffs...

 
At 8:36 AM PST , Blogger Finla said...

I would also sing the song if it was pouring down.
Back at home we too used to have kanji and payar.
So simple but really delicious

 
At 9:44 AM PST , Blogger vimmi said...

Here if there is 2 inch rain, it is called a flooding. lol. I really miss grocery shopping like we did in india. u are so lucky to stay in bay area where u get everything.

 
At 10:46 AM PST , Blogger Manasi said...

I LOVE rains!!! wish it rained more in L A!!!

 
At 2:34 PM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

uppu manga..delicious. I have to visit bay area soon

 
At 3:42 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Coconut Hill. I make pilgrimages there from Berkeley occasionally. You can get the drumstick leaves at Ranch 99 too fairly often. I think they are called "malungay" which is the Filipino name.

I loved our big rainstorm last week. We need it after a long dry summer.

 
At 9:20 AM PST , Blogger Mishmash ! said...

I wish I had that grocery store nearby!! I am so green looking at that drumstick leaves...I have never found that in our local stores :( Also wish for some nellikka too !!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home