Saturday, January 19, 2008

Nellikai Pachadi - Gooseberry Thokku

Call it thokku, pachadi, chutney. I tried gooseberry pachadi today and pleased with the results. We have run out of home-made pickles that comes from India. I referred to Jeyashree's Recipe and Indira's recipe .
As you all know by now, I suck at write ups. So here is the result in pictures.



Three pounds of frozen gooseberries. For information about gooseberry refer wiki


roasted cup of red round chillies, tablespoon of fenugreek and 5 tablespoons mustard - Cool and grind this in a coffee grinder - (Spice mix powder)


Gooseberries steamed in idlicooker for 10 mins


Remove seeds and grind into a paste


Heat a cup of oil, Add slices of 10 garlic. Add the gooseberry paste and a teaspoon of turmeric

Add the spice powder, 4 tblsp salt and approximately 1 cup of sambar powder. Continued to saute for 30+ minutes. Then add quarter cup oil seasoned with two tablespoon mustard.

Cooled and bottled.
Disclaimer : The quantity are approximate. I kept adjusting the sambar powder and salt until I got the right taste.

9 Comments:

At 10:39 PM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

super easy recipe :) thanks..wow one cup of sambhar powder shd make it super spicy.

 
At 2:57 AM PST , Blogger Jayashree said...

Does this have a long shelf life, Revathi???

 
At 7:19 AM PST , Blogger Sagari said...

revathi pachadhi looks soooo gooddd

 
At 9:38 AM PST , Blogger Revathi said...

Hi JEyashree -
I dont think the nellikai pachadi will have shelf life as much as pickles do. Also I used way too less oil. So I am going to keep this refriderated - Will see how long this keeps.

 
At 10:23 PM PST , Blogger Sig said...

I have never heard of this, but this is just the kind of stuff I like... I can just imagine the taste!

 
At 6:14 AM PST , Blogger Kribha said...

That looks super delicious. BTW, where did you get the gooseberries? From the indian stores? I have to startlooking for it.

 
At 10:15 AM PST , Blogger Revathi said...

Kribha

I got frozen gooseberries from the indian groceries.

 
At 10:31 AM PST , Blogger Mandira said...

wow revathi, this looks great!

 
At 9:16 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks for the wonderful recipe
How about doing the same thing with the fresh gooseberry...............

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home