Saturday, July 22, 2006

Comfort Foods - FMR - Rice with Rasam, Dal and Egg Curry

rasam rice, dal and eff curry Mashed rice with rasam, dal with egg curry - My comfort food - My entry for From My Rasoi #7

I had not left home until I was 23. At 23 I was sent to Germany for some client implementation. I was very scared to stay alone let alone speaking in german and helping in the implementaion. I was so naive to tell my client that I cannot stay in a hotel after I reached there. My client was such a nice person and offered to take me to his home and stay there for the rest of the trip. He and his wife, took such good care of me but I just could not eat german food. I was even scared to ask him to take me to a grocery stores because he was the person signing contracts for our company and I dare not mess up with him.. And he has made a big favour and let me be in his house as a guest...The entire trip was for just 12 days - so I survived on apple juice and whatever little german food I could eat !!

When it was time to go home, I called up my mother and I guessed my mother read my mind through the phone that she asked me what I wanted to eat - when I reached home.

Pat came the reply -

Amma, paruppu sadam rasam muttai poriyal ma ( dhal rice with rasam and egg curry ) !!

I reached home around midnight and did I sleep without eating !!!!! What else could be my comfort food ???

Its the simplicity of rasam and its uniqueness that each amma has a different recipe - An ideal way to connect to home for me is through food especially rasam. Here is my mothers' recipe for rasam.

Ingredients :
- juice extracted from one lemon sized tamarind
- one large tomato preferably vine-ripe
- two red chillies ( more if u need more spicy )
- 1 tablespoon jeera, pepper powder
- two garlic whacked
- fistful of coriander
- 1 tablespoon gingelly oil
- for seasoning a tsp each of cumin, mustard, curry leaves


rasam ingredients

Ingredients of rasam ( above ), rasam boiling in chatti-clay pot ( below )


1. Heat oil and season it with cumin, mustard, curry leaves and red chillies
2. Crush and squeeze together with your hands - whacked garlic, tomato, tamarind juice and two cups of water.
3. Add the squeezed mixture to the seasoned oil, add the jeera pepper powder and allow it to boil
4. When the rasam foams on top add coriander
5. Mash cooked rice with rasam and daal and enjoy with egg curry .

So what is your comfort food ??

11 Comments:

At 1:47 PM PDT , Blogger Sudha said...

Idhuoda comfort food irruka mudiyuma revathi? even now i love to have parupu sadam, and mom still keeps it ready when i tell her im coming home..Mine is a little differnt one..will have my entry for the comfort food soon ...

 
At 2:58 PM PDT , Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Revathi,
Yummy to see the rasam and dal.
Really a comfort food.
Vineela

 
At 5:07 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Revathi, I had same kind of experinces when I came to US for a short trip with my colleague. Though we stayed in hotel and cooked our food, it never used to taste like home food. The day I reached Bangalore, I prepared chapathi, egg curry and ate it (I had reached home at 4, still I got up at 7 and prepared it for breakfast).
Aren't these simple things like rasam and simple daal recipes from our mom beat the so called stylish and expensive food from restaurants? Great entry for the event.

 
At 4:19 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh..........

 
At 6:55 PM PDT , Blogger Revathi said...

Sure Sudha expecting ur entry -

Yes Vineela I think we have a special bond with rasam, may be because it was what we ate when we were sick...

Shilpa,
How true !! You are absolutely right !!! Tell me one restaurant that tastes like our simple home food!! Glad to see all of us have similar thoughts !!!

LG,
oh ??????Did not get what you meant !!!

 
At 5:43 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a story! Your food sounds very comforting, indeed!

 
At 5:44 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Revathi! This is my contribution to Comfort Foods! Perfect for a Sunday meal! :o)

http://www.hookedonheat.com/2006/07/24/it-was-a-sunday/

- Meena

 
At 6:11 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I culd smell the rasam.

 
At 4:18 AM PDT , Blogger indianadoc said...

Pasikkuthu............very soothing food indeed....

 
At 8:50 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

 
At 9:21 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have NEVER been able to make good rasam. My mom and MILs recipe has never worked for me. I have made this recipe three times so far and it has turned out perfectly. And now I can say that I can make rasam :) . Thank you so much for the recide

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home