Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Idly & Mint Chutney

Idly, chutney and sambar - My entry for Breakfast Blogging 2 and Green Blog Project

Breakfast is the most important yet most neglected meal of the day!! Whoever told "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dine like a pauper" never knew the 1001 things we have to do just when we are supposed to have a sitdown breakfast!!

Breakfast is ofcourse is a fad at my home. Mostly oats or a slice of bread for me and coffee for ravi. I think Breakfast Blogging event is such a nice opportunity to treat(atleast on weekends) breakfast as a meal and not just a snack or a drink.

So here is my entry to her wonderful event, The Breakfast Blogging 2, the queen of breakfasts ( Yes ofcourse idly is a she in my mind ), IDLY

I make two types of idlies:


Idly made at my mom's - Tamilnadu

  1. Ratio of idly rice : ural dal is 3:1.
  2. Add a teaspoon of fenugreek to ural dal
  3. Soak rice and dal separately for 4 to 6 hours.
  4. Grind first the rice smoothly.
  5. Then grind the dal and fenugreek.
  6. Mix together thoroughly and keep closed in a dark, dry place for 8 hours and let it ferment

Idly made at my mil's - Andhra

  1. Ratio of idlirawa :ural dal is 2:1
  2. Wash the idlirawa 3 to 4 times and soak to just cover the rice. The lesser the better
  3. Soak the ural dal separately. Allow the rawa and dal to soak for 4 to 6 hours
  4. Grind the dal
  5. Drain any excess water in the rawa and mix in the ground dal
  6. Ferment in a dry dark place for 8 hours




Making of the idly

  • Lightly mix the fluffed up batter gently. Take care not to release all the bubbles
  • Add salt and mix.
  • Grease idli mould with some oil spray
  • Pour the batter in the moulds and steam in idli cooker for 10 minutes on medium-high.
  • Leave them alone for another 10 minutes.
  • Dip a spoon in cold water, run it around the idlies in the mould and carefully flip them out using the spoon

Tips for good idly

  • Add water little by little when grinding ural dal and let it fluff
  • The consistency of the ground dal should be like soft butter
  • Mix the batter thoroughly with your hands. The yeast in the hands helps in fermenting
  • Fenugreek is said make the idly more fluffier. It also gives color when you make dosais.
  • Dont overmix the fermented batter. If all the bubbles are released the idlies will not be very fluffy
  • Altitudes does vary the ratio of rice and ural dal. At higher altitudes make the ratio of rice and ural dal 3:1 or sometimes 4:1. It comes by trial and error only

Mint Chutney

Sometime in May or June I planted a few mint.. I buy mint every week, I stripped the leaves and cut the stems on an angle and planted it in a pot. I did not have much hope because I had tried it a couple of summers without much success. Surprisingly this time it was a success !!! Also I did not know that mint can be a creeper !!! I thought it was a shrub !!

My entry to the Green Blog Project by Guardian of Tropical Plantation - LG of Ingimanga. Every time I water the plants I remember her. I have Tulasi, Mint, Green chillies and Samandhi (Chrysanthemum) in my patio. I have planted some coriander too. Its just struggling in the heat.


I made chutney with my pudina leaves ( and added to the store bought bunch ). Just sauted the leaves in little oil along with coconut, tamarind and redchillies. I also added a fistful of cilantro. And ground up in the mixie :)

22 Comments:

At 6:42 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revathi, Thats a great entry for the event. I have been thinking what to send for this event :(. As I have already blogged abt all my fav food. But definitely I want to participate in this event. Let me think about it some more....

 
At 11:44 AM PDT , Blogger KA said...

Mint chutney with idly.. now that's an unusual combination for me. Your mint seems to be growing really tall.

 
At 2:55 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idly looks fluffy..Did you make it using rice or rawa ? Great Pics!

 
At 7:43 PM PDT , Blogger Kitchenmate said...

Nice entry Revathi, pudina chutney is always my favorite combination and it pairs up very well with rava dosa too:)

 
At 7:44 PM PDT , Blogger Kitchenmate said...

oh, idlis looks so soft and fluffy by the way...

 
At 8:14 PM PDT , Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Revathi,nice fluffy Idli,s mint chutney with Idli sounds new to me.Nice home grown mint I smell it from ur blog:)

 
At 3:01 AM PDT , Blogger Anupama said...

Revathi, Superb pic of Idli and Mint Chutney and I cannot tell you how I loved your different idli recipes and your good idli tips. I am going to take them down in my Notebook so I can quickly refer to them Thanx a ton

 
At 1:55 PM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Very useful info on idli. Thanx a lot dear.

Those idlis look very soft & fluffy. I´ve never got my idlis tat well. I love pudina chutney. Ur combo looks incredible.

 
At 12:06 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah.. I liked the Guardian comment..hehehe.. Thanks a lot for the entry. I am greedy,so do I get to see another plant for Summer? :-)

 
At 9:18 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 
At 10:05 PM PST , Blogger Rajee said...

Revathi, I am in Dallas Fortworth. Very recently moved here from singapore. I want to grow Mint plants. Can u pls give me where to get Mint plant here?

 
At 8:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:37 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am new to blogging...
I trying to learn cooking....
Thank you for your recipe.

Regards
Sharmila

 
At 8:51 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:33 PM PST , Blogger Leila said...

your idlis look good.mint stems have to be cut now and then for it to grow well. you'll never have to buy mint again if planted on the ground. after the snow here for 6months it sprouts again

 
At 8:16 PM PDT , Blogger Pilo said...

Nice idlies. For the US indians there is no need of any appetiser. your picture is enough to make them hungry. Nice.
pilogui
http://avialblah.blogspot.com
http://nosle.com

 
At 2:52 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I tried idli at an Indian restaurant and fell in love with these soft dumplings!

I found a bag of 'idli flour' (a white powder) but it has no instructions on it... can you please help me out??!!

Thanks,
Emma

 
At 4:46 PM PDT , Blogger Pilo said...

South Indian Idly and chutney are very good to eat. But they involve lot of work at home. They require special vessels as seen in the picture and should be placed in a pressure cooker to cook.( without the pressure valve)
You will get all these in any Indian store. Ask questions, you get answers.
http://www.nosle.com
pilo

 
At 1:38 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Pilo. I actually found the idli maker at the store! I then soaked the idli flour with some water overnight and ran it through with the blender in the morning. Unfortuantely, the water and flour have separated after sitting - did I add too much water?

-Ima

 
At 5:40 PM PST , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
The recipe sound great. You should post them on www.samukam.com social network in the Tamil recipe/food section.
Best,
Thiru

 
At 6:37 PM PST , Blogger Dhanya Ganesh said...

Hi Revathi,
First time here. You have a lot of good recipes .The idli and chutney looks yummy. Also happy to see a fremont blogger:).

 
At 1:24 AM PST , Blogger Pilo said...

Posting it on various web sites will certainly make Idlies popular as well as your web site. nosle.com pilo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home