Friday, November 24, 2006

Sorakai sambar ( Dudhi, bottlegourd )

I have been going through the recipes posted in my blog and realized that I had not posted a sambar dish. The trademark of being a Tamil is sambar dish yet I did not have any. Whenever we Tamils see a veggie we make a sambar out of it. Telugus will make a pappu and keralites a thoran I would guess. I am not familiar with other cuisines :)

Sorakai and pumpkin are two classy watery veggies that soaks up all the flavour of sambar. These veggies literally burst into bundles of flavour when bitten - the taste is completely acquired.


Sorakai sambar, brinjal curry & mango pickle

Here goes my recipe for sambar

- cup of toor dal boiled and mashed
- 10 one inch pieces of sorakai peeled
- half an onion chopped
- 1 juicy vine riped tomato
- 1 lemon size tamarind pulp
- 1 teaspoon good sambar powder - I use the one sent by amma from home
- a fistful of coriander leaves
- 1/4th tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- for tempering - one tsp each of oil, mustard, fenugreek, cumin, 4 to 5 curry leaves

Sorakai ( Sorakaya, Dudhi )- Right pressure-cooked dal

First
- Pressure cook the toor dal with twice the amount of water for 2 to 3 whistles.
- soak the tamarind

Next
- Heat the oil for tempering
- Meanwhile chop the onions, tomato
- Temper the oil with the ingredients for tempering. Add onion and saute for two minutes. Add the tomato and saute for another 2 minutes
- Meanwhile peel and chop the sorakai - Remove the middle spongy part of the sorakai while chopping. Add to the mixture above.
- Add a cup and half of water, sambar powder, turmeric, salt and allow to boil for 10 minutes

Then
- Add the mashed dal to the mixture and continue to boil for another 5 minutes
- Add the tamarind pulp and when it foams on the top add coriander leaves and switch off.
- Enjoy with rice.

Needless to say this sambar tastes extremely well when allowed to sit for a couple of hours.

13 Comments:

At 11:11 PM PST , Blogger Syam said...

I luv Sorakai..but not in the sambar format.. my granny makes it like gramathu virundhu...i will try to get the recipe...so that you can log that in your blog :-)

 
At 12:14 AM PST , Blogger Pooja said...

hi revathi,
great dish of dudhi. :)
i love trying different recipe with it. Hope to get your email or post soon in my inbox with your new recipe for the next week(i.e coming monday) with fenugreek .
thanks for being there with me.
happy thanks giving.
Stay tuned
-Pooja

 
At 4:25 AM PST , Blogger Lakshmik said...

Hi Revathi

So many sambar recipes. Keep them coming!

 
At 10:50 AM PST , Blogger Lakshmi said...

sorakai Sambar, i luv this dish. looks good Revathi.

 
At 4:38 PM PST , Blogger Sangeeta said...

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe. I love trying out different veggies when making Sambar. This is definitely on my list :)

 
At 5:12 PM PST , Blogger FH said...

Yummy sambhar,Revs! I am dying for some here:))

 
At 8:30 PM PST , Blogger Viji said...

Revathi, looks so good. Viji

 
At 5:30 AM PST , Blogger indosungod said...

Revathi, you hit the nail on the head, whenever I look at a veggie, that is the thought that goes through my mind "Will it taste good in Sambhar". Sorakai sambhar looks good.

 
At 7:17 AM PST , Blogger Anupama said...

You know what Revathi, my mom used to put Dudhi in sambar and as a teenager I did not much like it. But then I ate Sambar with Dudhi in one of my favourite restaurants in Pune and it was delicious. And you know that my mother had a lot to say about that. Your recipe just reminded me of that restaurant which I haven't visited in ages. Got a bit nostalgic. Thanx for the recipe.

 
At 12:23 PM PST , Blogger USHA said...

Hi Revathi,

You are 100% correct,tamilians trademark is sambar.

i never had sorakai,but had pumpkin.Especially during pongal in most of house, i think they do this pumpkin sambar...

 
At 7:14 PM PST , Blogger Shah cooks said...

I just noticed.. u live in fremont! I was there and in Cupertino.

 
At 3:29 PM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

Hmm, I dont remember if my mom made with sorrkai, but liked sambhar, paruppu and nei with appalam..aha what a combo illa revathi

 
At 9:21 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is nutritional value for Dudhi and Indian Karela?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home