Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Prawn curry & fish

I love my non-veg dishes that my mom used to make for me when I was back home. Sundays never passed without some non-veggie item, sometimes more than one. Seafood was my alltime favourite. Mostly because we got it fresh as we used to be close to the coast. But as luck might have it, Ravi is not a big fan of sea food. So I almost dont cook sea food, solely because it is time consuming and who has the time to cook just for me !!!!

Whenever I feel I miss non-veg food, I blog-hop to Shaheen's site for her non-veg collection. Her food literally makes me drool. During this holiday season I had so much time and I dragged Ravi to the Chinese market to buy prawns and fish. I bought half a pound of prawns ( that was just 10 prawns exactly ) and one pomfret which was the size of my palm.

I did no fancy thing with the prawn curry. Simple and yummy just as my amma would do it. This curry was special to me in several ways. It was the first time I cooked prawn curry after two years !! I used the iron kadai that my amma used every single day until I flicked it from her!!! It was truly a treat to me, just for me after a longgg time during this holiday season..


The most important thing was the memory associated with this prawn curry. As soon as the curry is made, amma would remove the curry to a bowl, leaving a couple of prawns and a tad bit of curry in the kadai. Then she would add some cooked rice to the kadai, scrape and mix with all the curry that is sticking to the kadai, make round balls of it and give us each mouthfuls the tasty prawn curry rice. It would be just soooo delicious.


Cooking with her kadai, I did the same. I could not wait to take better pictures. Between taking pics and popping the curry balls, I chose the later he he he !


Prawn curry in Ammas' Kadai
Ingredients

  • 1 inch piece of ginger grated
  • 3 cloves of garlic grated
  • 1 medium sized onion chopped
  • 2 vine-ripe tomatoes
  • 10 prawns deshelled, deveined
  • fistful cilantro finely chopped
  • for seasoning - 2 tbl oil, half tsp each of mustard and cumin
  • 2 tsp sambar powder ( or 1 tsp chillipowder and 1 tsp dhaniya powder)
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • salt to taste


Prawn curry urundai
  • Heat oil in a kadai/pan. Season the oil with the seasoning ingredients
  • Add grated ginger and garlic.
  • Wait for a minute and add onions and fry until soft or for 5 minutes
  • Add chopped tomatoes continue to saute for 5 minutes
  • Add prawns, turmeric, sambar powder.
  • Add half a cup of water if needed.
  • Close and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes
  • Open and continue to cook until all the water is absorbed.
  • Add chopped cilantro for garnish and enjoy over hot rice.



Fish curry

6 Comments:

At 4:32 AM PST , Blogger Shah cooks said...

Happy New year! A nice start to the new year i would say!Thanks for ur sweet words on my blog. And here i am trying to add more veg recipes!
The part about the kadai.. i too flicked my mom's ancient cast iron kadai! I definitely will try the fish and shrimp ur way. the curry looks great, even with the hurried photo!

 
At 5:38 AM PST , Blogger indosungod said...

Revathi, Happy New Year to you and a truly warming dish. I guess don't have to feel bad this flicking from mom buisness is common it seems.

 
At 7:23 AM PST , Blogger jayakarthik said...

oops non-veg, guess i can substitute with some other vege
thanks for sharing it
welcome back revathi

 
At 7:37 PM PST , Blogger USHA said...

Hi Revathi,

Wonderful,spicy nonveg dishes....A grand start for thenewyear with nonveg treat.....
KALAKKUNGA!!!!!!

 
At 6:25 AM PST , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Revathy
Wonderful treat to the eyes with the photos. Thanks for this recipe. I love trying different non-veg recipes. Wld get back to you with the feedback.
Chk here for Non-veg recipes here by Eljaype:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/non-vegetarian-kitchen/3489-non-veg-recipes-by-eljaype.html

 
At 6:59 PM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Whenever I feel I miss non-veg food, I search to su-dear for this non-veg collection. this food literally makes me drool. During this holiday season I had so much time and I dragged nile to the Chinese market to buy prawns and fish. I bought half a pound of prawns ( that was just 10 prawns exactly ) and one pomfret which was the size of my pal. keep this pen going on writing

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home