Monday, April 21, 2008

The authentic Chettinad kitchen - Paruppu Thovayal

Ever since I ate in the Karaikudi restaurant in Chennai a decade ago, I have been addicted to Chettinad cuisine. The excuisite addition of different spices, the elaborate preparation method is to be experienced to appreciate the cuisine.

Chettinad means land of Chettiyars, the community that thrived in the Sivagangai district of Tamilnadu. During the 19th and 20th centuries, they went abroad for work and were the flourishing community. They spent the money earned abroad well on architechture and food. They used teak wood from burma for their mansions. The intricate carvings on the vasalpadi ( entrance), use of pillars inside the homes is typical and a trademark of chettiar homes. They also built several educational institutions, palatial mansions and huge wedding halls. ( Source: Wiki )

Recently the government of Tamilnadu has identified the historical importance of their architechture and lifestyle and promoting visit to Karaikudi and the sorrounding villages as part of tourism.

Though I dont belong to that community, I find many similarities between our cuisines. For a long time I was hoping to find a food blog from someone who knew chettinad food inside out. I was exhilarated when I found Solai Aachi's blog who is from Chettinadu. Aachi has started her blog to help out her newly married daughter. Today I tried a really simple paruppu thovayal from her blog which is very simple but filling and nutritious.
Check out aachis' nenju elumbu kozhambu, chettinad chicken, fish fry.

With just 3 ingredients, its one of the easiest recipes.

29 Comments:

At 1:36 AM PDT , Blogger Srivalli said...

I love chettinad...nice one...

 
At 1:47 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Nice Chettinad Recipe... It looks good :)

 
At 3:00 AM PDT , Blogger SMN said...

That is a nice chettinad recipe..

 
At 5:01 AM PDT , Blogger indosungod said...

Revathi, yes ofcourse Chettinad is a favorite. Paruppu Thovaiyal always a life saver. Thanks to the introduction to Solai's blog.

 
At 8:21 AM PDT , Blogger Cham said...

Yes, i am regular visitor to her site. Her cuisine has some great chettinad cuisine. The thovayal looks dlicious.

 
At 9:01 AM PDT , Blogger Uma said...

looks delicious.

 
At 9:21 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:25 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

supera irriku:) Thanks for that blog intro thangachi

 
At 11:42 AM PDT , Blogger Suganya said...

Chettinadu cuisine has such a special place in Tamil nadu. We should probably do RCI on it.

 
At 12:24 PM PDT , Blogger TBC said...

That IS super simple and I bet, very tasty too!

 
At 12:57 PM PDT , Blogger Siri said...

even I heard of Chettinad cuisine and thanks for sharing this super simple recipe Revathi.

Siri

 
At 2:27 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *heart* Chettinad cuisine Revathi. Thanks for Solai Aachi's link.

Mamatha

 
At 5:00 PM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

love this..Nice pic too

 
At 6:13 PM PDT , Blogger Kalai said...

Thanks so much for the intro to Solai's blog, Revathi! Paruppu thuvaiyal looks delicious! :)

 
At 8:47 PM PDT , Blogger Sagari said...

simple and delecioussssss

 
At 11:00 PM PDT , Blogger Sig said...

Chettinadu is one of my favorite cuisines too... thanks for introducing us to the Solai Aachi's blog... Love this picture Revathi, beautiful backdrop...

 
At 11:39 AM PDT , Blogger Solai Chidambaram said...

Thankyou so much Revathi for your compliments.Your food blogs look awsome.I am just back from chettinad.Will go through all ur recipes and will get back to you

 
At 4:53 PM PDT , Blogger TC said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:56 PM PDT , Blogger TC said...

the recipe looks simple and delicious. can't wait to try it tomorrow.

 
At 12:36 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks yummy and nicely presented!

 
At 11:33 AM PDT , Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Revathy...
long time... how are u.. was busy with quite a few things for some time..
Nice recipe for paruppu thuvaiyal...was actually looking for a recipe . thanks.
can u check this link http://www.tamilnation.org/culture/cuisine/cuisine.htm
Bharathy has left a comment in my blog to check this link.
They have just used all the categories from our tamilrecipes website.

 
At 6:26 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was looking for details about vettiver.Nice useful blog.I guess this ver has to be tied in a cotton cloth and put into the clay pot.Going to have a try

 
At 12:11 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to have chettinad food, I will definitely give a try this simple and delicious try.

 
At 1:42 AM PDT , Blogger www.ifoods.tv said...

Hi there

I have just stumbled upon your blog. I love the clean design and fantastic photos. I am a blogger myself and always thought that design was key and you have certainly captured that! There are so many food blogs out there these days and being different to all the others is key. I have just started www.ifoods.tv which is a website for chefs, foodies and food bloggers to hand out, share recipes, photos and videos. When i was blogging I always thought i should be getting more traffic as my blog was getting lost in the masses of stuff out there so my new site is aimed at giving food bloggers and chefs a bigger platform! Hope you enjoy it and keep up the good writing and design here! I have now bookmarked you so will be regular reader, Cheers!

 
At 7:33 AM PDT , Blogger Shah cooks said...

there is a chicken chettinad that i once had and fell in love with!! I could never find the recipe for that and never found the same taste again despite ordering at every menu that i found it in.

 
At 10:51 AM PDT , Blogger A_and_N said...

Thuvaiyal pramaadhama irukku :)

 
At 9:43 AM PST , Blogger Mythreyee said...

Do you want to host the RCI in January for Chettinad cuisine. I am a little busy and I am not sure if I can do that. Pls tell me.

 
At 3:26 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Revathi. I love all thovayals, and parappu thovayal is an absolute favourite. I like the name of your blog - it describes your interest well.

 
At 11:15 PM PST , Blogger aa said...

live119|live119論壇|
潤滑液|內衣|性感內衣|自慰器|
按摩棒|電動按摩棒|飛機杯|自慰套|自慰套|情趣內衣|
G點|性感丁字褲|吊帶襪|丁字褲|無線跳蛋|性感睡衣|
充氣娃娃|AV|情趣|衣蝶|
角色扮演|跳蛋|情趣跳蛋|煙火批發|煙火|情趣用品|SM|

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home