Saturday, March 08, 2008

Maanga paasiparuppu kootu ( Mango moong dal )

I had not posted for a few days now, not because I am not cooking but I am cooking everyday simple dishes that are uncomplicated and quick. But I dont make Mango moong dal that often.
With some weekend time on hand, I turned to this dish today.


Maanga paasiparuppu kootu with zucchini fry

Incidentally this is my fathers favourite kootu. Kootu is any dish with a dal in it in which the dal is not mushy. Indira's recent post on
Mamidi Pesara Pappu brought back memories - so I did it today.
I did not pressure cook the moongdal and cooked it to a stage where it still had a bite to it and did not mush.

Moong dal also goes by these names. Payatham paruppu, split green gram, paasi paruppu, Pesara pappu

Maanga paasi paruppu kootu

1. Boil half a cup of Moong dal with a tsp each of turmeric, chillipowder ( or sambar powder ) and two cloves of garlic with a cup and half of water.

2. Peel a raw mango. Dice into quarter inch pieces. We need about a one fourth cup.

3. When the dal is almost done ( you will know this by mushing it in between your fingers it wont mush but if you bite it will be soft ), add the mango pieces

4. Cook until mango are soft and all water is absorbed

5. In a separate pan, heat tablespoon of oil and when the oil is hot add tsp each of mustard, cumin, few curry leaves and a dash of hing.

6. Add the seasoned oil from above to the mango dal mixture.

Enjoy with rice. A dollop of ghee is a must for this dish.

Saw this in the indian stores today. Reminded me of the chiclets back at home -



15 Comments:

At 5:50 AM PDT , Blogger FH said...

Looks great Revathi, enjoy. Is it mango season now? I saw so many Mango dals in bogs last week. I am missing out, got to check n Indian store!:)

Yummy chicklets.

 
At 6:33 AM PDT , Blogger Finla said...

I think simple dishes are mostly the best comforting food.
Hi hi if i see the chicklet in a indian shop i would also buy them.
Funny how we buy things which remind us off back home.

 
At 6:33 AM PDT , Blogger Finla said...

Forgot to say i loved the red chicklets which we got back home in this pack :-)

 
At 10:36 AM PDT , Blogger sra said...

Non-mushy kootu is new to me. And let me explore whether we still get chiclets!

 
At 11:56 AM PDT , Blogger Mansi said...

wow, that looks different indeed!:) nice one revathi!

 
At 10:33 PM PDT , Blogger TheCooker said...

Non-mushy daal...must try.
Chicklets are nostalgic stuff...like Poppins.

 
At 4:28 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks great. I always end up overcooking my dhal so that it's mushy. Must turn off heat earlier. I'll try your recipe sometime.

 
At 1:12 PM PDT , Blogger Dori said...

Wow, what a way to eat Mango...sounds awesome!

 
At 9:55 PM PDT , Blogger Sagari said...

delecious dal revathi

 
At 4:00 PM PDT , Blogger Kalai said...

Hi Revathi! Kootu looks great! I was wondering if you'd like to be part of the arusuvai friendship chain. If you're interested, pls email me or leave a comment on my blog. Thanks! :)

 
At 5:34 PM PDT , Blogger Kalai said...

Ungal address anupunga thevarmdATgmailDOTcom Thanks! :)

 
At 8:30 AM PDT , Blogger Cham said...

Mango kootu never tried, make sambar so it should be in the same categorie

 
At 8:36 AM PDT , Blogger Uma said...

The kootu looks so mouth-watering, Revathi! Love the chicklets. So tempting.

 
At 5:05 PM PDT , Blogger Sowjanya Yinti said...

hmmm.. I have cut up mango pieces.Must print htis recipe to try :)

 
At 8:49 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Revathi, great to see your posts again! I have some frozen green mango -- closest I can get here but today I saw some small green fruits, hard as a rock, in the Indian store. I didn't buy them as I was already loaded down with familiar veggies. Is it raw mango season here in New England, I wonder? These were not shaped like mangoes I have seen.

Got to try this dal -- looks so good and I love moong dal any day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home