Monday, February 18, 2008

Sandwich with roasted bell peppers, eggplant and zucchini

I love to try new cuisines. Over the years in US, I have grown to love italian, american, mexican and thai cuisines. It was totally not the case when I first went to restaurants here.
I was petrified seeing the super sized plates filled with unknown flavours. Mexican platters used to be my nightmare. Ravi loves mexican so he was excited to take me to mexican restaurants and introduce the cuisine to me but the strings of chicken in the guey cheese sauce with blood red sauce made be feel puky - just seeing the enchiladas. Ravi had this novel idea of not sharing food - his justification was he ended up eating more because I made him eat my order and his too. So I felt sooo guilty for wasting food but there was noooo way I could finish them.

Over the years, the foodie in me emerged and I tried all food that came my way. But I never could try any of this at home. I have this strongg inhibition not to try anything beyond indian cooking at home. In all the six years I have tried thai curry twice, pasta twice.

But seeing other bloggers ace in international cuisines, I always had the urge to try them. Finally I broke out of my shell yesterday and set up a minimalistic italian-pantry. The first dish I tried is a sandwich with roasted bellpepper, roasted eggplant and roasted zucchini. If you are like me, its the perfect recipe to start.

Minimalistic italian pantry


Grilling peppers : Spread the slices of pepper srayed with olive oil on a aluminium foil and place them directly in the top most rack in the broiler mode for 7 to 9 minutes. Take it out into a paper bag and close the bag. After 10 minutes, peel the skin off.

Grilling eggplant and zucchini : Slice the veggies and sprinkle italian seasoning and brush balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the veggies and sprinkle black pepper. Grill/Bake in oven at 400 degree for 15 to 20 mins

I grilled the veggies over the weekend and refrigerated.

Oven grilled bellpepper


Eggplant, zucchini - dash of italian grilled seasoning, balsamic vinegar and olive oil


Assembling the sandwich :
Brush a side of the bread with the vinegar and olive oil. place slices of grilled veggies and top with mozarella cheese. Top with a slice of bread. Place the sandwich on a grill/pan and place a heavy weight and press. I placed my stone mortar over the sandwich. Leave it over medium heat for 6 minutes. Repeat on other side.

Grilled sandwich

The taste was simple and just the way I loved it. I could have used a better cheese -I bought kraft fat free mozarella - a huge mistake, it tasted like rubber. I have this sandwich for lunch from a sandwich shop and they use brie - it is sinfully tasty. Also I would have liked to have more balsamic vinegar.

Last weekend, seven bloggers from bay area met and we had a blast. The cooker is starting the sprint about the meet - Check this out

28 Comments:

At 8:43 PM PST , Blogger Linda said...

Hooray, Revathi!! Now that you have some olive oil, try a simple salad -- just a good lettuce and tomato mixed with plenty of onion, lots of lemon and a little olive oil whisked with a bit of salt for the dressing :) BTW that's not Italian or American -- it's from my old neighbor who comes from Lebanon ;)

Your sandwich looks great. :)

 
At 9:30 PM PST , Blogger sra said...

That grilled bell pepper photo is a beauty!

 
At 9:30 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks good Revathi. I am glad you are venturing into this new world - keep us posted :)

 
At 10:00 PM PST , Blogger TheCooker said...

That grilled pepper picture is lovely.
That sandwich looks delicious!!

 
At 11:13 PM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

kalakalls

 
At 12:20 AM PST , Blogger Sig said...

simple ingredients sometimes make the best meal! That sandwich sounds delicious! Good luck with your international cuisine experiments... :)

 
At 1:04 AM PST , Blogger Srivalli said...

that sandwich looks great!

 
At 3:27 AM PST , Blogger Sia said...

that sandwich pic is a beauty!

 
At 5:06 AM PST , Blogger indosungod said...

Revathi, that is my kind of sandwich, looks yum. grilled veggies don't disappoint :)

 
At 5:35 AM PST , Blogger Finla said...

Wow that is one delicious looking sandwich.

 
At 6:15 AM PST , Blogger Laavanya said...

I love a hot sandwich with grilled veggies and melted cheese! Yours looks great.

 
At 7:48 AM PST , Blogger Kalai said...

I love grilled vegetables in any shape or form! Great start and looking forward to more international recipes from you! :)

 
At 8:50 AM PST , Blogger Mythreyee said...

That looks fantastic Revathi. Great recipe.

 
At 11:30 AM PST , Blogger Suganya said...

Now there is no turning back. I also find it easier to include lot more veggies and lot less carbs in other cuisines. If its Indian, the temptation is too much that I end up eating a big bowl of rice and sambar.

Also, try buying fresh cheese from the cheese counter. They taste a lot better.

 
At 12:02 PM PST , Blogger vimmi said...

Wow thats looks good. I also made a panini some time back, the same way, putting weight on top. But with chicken.

 
At 12:29 PM PST , Blogger TBC said...

I love the pic of the grilled pepper.
Sometimes, the simplest meals are the most satisfying. I too firmly believe that balsamic vinegar makes anything taste better.;-)

 
At 3:02 PM PST , Blogger Dhivya said...

wow...nice entry...pic looks really good

 
At 7:29 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Revathi..that looks awesome!!! BTW, I made the Mango Pachadi for my husband on his birthday (with ripe mangoes..couldn't find raw mangoes, and I added a tad bid of chilli powder)....and it was a hit superhit! He said that it tasted exactly as his mom would make it-quoting how he felt like the food critic in Ratatouille when he had the ratatouille made by the rat (that can be a tongue twister!).

 
At 9:43 AM PST , Blogger Sagari said...

nice combo of veggies revathi

 
At 11:25 AM PST , Blogger Shah cooks said...

i don't believe it! u are missing out on red peppers grilled and sundried tomaotes and mozarella cheese and i could go on and on...u gotto try MoRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

 
At 2:10 PM PST , Blogger Dori said...

That sandwich looks great! It took me a long time to get started when I wanted to cook Indian food...It seemed to take forever to learn all the spices, and other ingredients, where to get them, and then the task of how to make everything...eight years later I'm still learning, and from great cooks on these blogs! My next interest is Thai food, but Indian food will always be closest to my heart. Keep it up and it won't feel like foreign cuisine to you anymore :)

 
At 3:55 AM PST , Blogger Saikat said...

hi,
i wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the blog.
blogsjam is a new web-based blog reader, organized by channels.
your blog is included in blogsjam.

pl. check it out, and contact me at saibose@gmail.com, if you have any questions.
we also have a cool widget, that will not only help get more
distribution for your blog,
but it can also be used to feature fresh and contextual posts on your blog.

thx-Saikat

 
At 2:13 PM PST , Blogger Inji Pennu said...

I am like you. I am too scared to make other cuisines. Should try.

 
At 4:13 AM PST , Blogger FH said...

Oh, this sandwich is yummy too, chockful of roasted veggies. YUMMY!:))

Revati, Muffuletta bread is basic bread, it's very easy to start baking with. Add few herbs and spices to the dough for flavor. Good luck!:)

 
At 3:48 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The roasted veggies look lovely.

Mamatha

 
At 11:00 AM PST , Blogger sra said...

Revathi, I've tagged you for a meme, do it if you're interested.

 
At 12:19 PM PST , Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Hi Revathi... long time.. how are u doing.
Sandwich looks lovely...

 
At 9:49 AM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello revathi:) first time on your blog, very well taken pics and yummy recipes:) I dont know how I could miss this blog for such a long time :) Thanks for commenting on my blog, glad I could see your blog:) Hope to see you around :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home