Monday, February 11, 2008

Malabar spinach - Bachalakoora - Another andhra delicacy

When I was preparing this dish today, it suddenly occurred to me why I had not blogged about this recipe.. It is in the top 5 of Ravi's favourites and a typical andhra preparation. These days I dont cook much for myself. Its either kichdi with some veggies or soup and veggies as I am trying to get on a diet. I am not forcing Ravi to do the diet thing with me - its a sheer torture for him given his work load and study load. I added a handful of spinach to my soup for lunch and prepared bachalakoora for him for dinner.

Greens are little heavier on the digestive system so at my home in India "No greens for dinner". I dont remember my mother ever serving any kind of greens for dinner. Naturally even now I refrain from eating greens at night.

This spinach preparation is very interesting. Usually the tamarind added to any curries is ripe ones but for this dish raw tamarind juice is added. Raw tamarind unlike the ripe ones cannot be deshelled. So it is crushed with the shell and made into a coarse paste with salt and stored. Just before using a tablespoon of the paste is diluted in water and the extracted juice is strained of any shells and added to the spinach curry.

Malabar spinach is the indian variety of spinach - very different from the actual spinach we get here in US. Its leaves are broader, thicker and slimy. The berries of malabar spinach are violet/indigo in color - we used to crush the berries and use it for April fools' day -

See here for the image and more information

Three cups chopped malabar spinach
Four green chillies chopped
half an onion chopped
Juice of one tablespoon raw tamarind paste (Optionally use regular tamarind paste )
Oil - 2 tbl
half cup - Boiled channa dal ( half boiled )
Turmeric half tsp
chilli powder two tsps
For seasoning - Mustard, cumin - half teaspoon each

Heat oil and when the oil is hot add mustard.
When the mustard splutters add cumin, green chillies and onions.
Saute for a few minutes.
Add chopped spinach and saute for 5 minutes. Spinach cooks in its own water.
Seperately boil half cup channa dal for 5 minutes
Strain the water from the channa dal and add the dal to the sauteing spinach
Add juice from the tamarind
Add salt, turmeric and chilli powder
Cover and cook until most of the water is absorbed.


Raw tamarind


Raw tamarind paste


Malabar spinach


Malabar spinach with Channa dal

15 Comments:

At 12:08 AM PST , Blogger Padmaja said...

Revathi!! I am drooling over those amazing pictures especially that raw tamarind one!!!Nice n simple recipe

 
At 4:16 AM PST , Blogger Finla said...

The raw tamarind picture made my mouth water. Reminded me of the school days when wekids used to eat them

 
At 5:54 AM PST , Blogger FH said...

Yummy! I will grow those greens this summer!:)

 
At 6:38 AM PST , Blogger Shilpa said...

I haven't used/seen raw tamarind in a long time. I would love to eat it with salt :D.
I had grown malabar spinach at home last summer. Its too good. I will have to try your method sometime.

 
At 8:46 AM PST , Blogger bee said...

wonderful dish. we buy raw tamarind often, so this recipe has been bookmarked.

 
At 9:29 AM PST , Blogger Mythreyee said...

After seeing the tamarind in the pic, I am reminded of eating it raw in school days. "Puliaangai". We used to collect the "puliaangotta" - seeds. A good recipe with spinach.

 
At 1:32 AM PST , Blogger Jayashree said...

I have eaten raw tamarind as a kid....but never cooked with it. Nice recipe and nice pics to go along with it.

 
At 2:57 AM PST , Blogger Sia said...

drool @ raw tamarind :)

 
At 11:16 AM PST , Blogger mallugirl said...

what is bachalakoora?sorry rev, i grew malabar spinach and found it slimier than regular spinach..doe sur raw tamarind take that away? also good point ur mom made abt no greens at night..

 
At 1:13 PM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

yep no greens at home for dinner. I have eaten raw tamarind with salt & chilli powder only:) this is something new for me

 
At 8:45 PM PST , Blogger Linda said...

Ah, Revathi! I saw this raw tamarind in the market couple of weeks ago. Now when I get some I will know what to expect. I love spinach, any kind, any way shape or form. I'd also love to know where you shop for fresh veggies!

Bachalakoora looks great :)

 
At 11:08 PM PST , Blogger Sig said...

Raw tamarind...oh wow... I have never used it for cooking, but I have fond childhood memories of eating it with salt... drooling now... :D

 
At 12:26 AM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,this dish looks delicious!! The tamarind pic was great.Reminded me of school days :)

 
At 3:23 PM PST , Blogger Uma said...

wow, nice recipe! Looks so yummy!

 
At 2:53 AM PST , Blogger Bakerbakes said...

hi
malabar spinach is also called pasalai keerai in tamil. if u have free space u can plant these violet seeds or simply plant the thick stems after removing the leaves in soil and water it well. in a weeks time u can grow ur own keerai plant.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home