Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wholegrain pancakes with oats

When Indira mentioned that jazzing up oats is like dressing pig I had a hearty laugh.. How true !!! When Shankari told me about her designer oats I told her I just didnt beleive it.

Recently my friend R gave me a recipe for oats Dosai. She said Revathi it will be like oothappam. Very soft and nice. I tried it and it was a gloppy caramelized blob. I am sure I messed up the recipe.

Then I came across a Homemade wholegrain pancake mix on the King Arthur site, which had oats, whole wheat flour and unbleached all purpose flour. On a whim I tried it. I made two changes - Omitted the oil completely and powdered the oats completely since I was using steel-cut oats. You have to make it to beleive it !!!
Now I still beleive the oats cannot be dressed but can be disguised and I will give the designer oats and oats dosai another shot !!!

Some flour facts :
Bleached and Unbleached flour : Bleaching is the process in which the wheat flour is bleached with oxidizing agents to make the flour more whiter and to increase the gluten-content. In unbleached flour the oxidization naturally happens to wheat flour over time, hence more expensive. The calorific value and the glycemic index of both the flours is the same - however chemicals used as oxidizing agents for bleaching flour.

Wholewheat and all purpose flour : All purpose flour are heavily processed and the nutrients are added later. The fiber is almost completely ripped off. Wholewheat flour has a lower glycemic index compared to APF and also much higher fiber content.

Now other things are done to the flour like enriching, and bromation. Bromation also increases the gluten-producting potential.

Nutritonal inforation of whole wheat flour and APF



Wholegrain pancake mix - Not a drop of oil !

2 cups unbleached All purpose flour
3/4th cup whole wheat flour
2 cups powdered oats flour ( use quick oats or steelcut)
1 tablespoon brown granulated sugar
1 and half teaspoon baking powder
half tsp salt
half tablespoon baking soda

Mix everything in a clean dry vessel and store in an airtight container. When you want to make pancakes, add a cup of the mix to one cup of liquid ( a little less than a cup )

Liquid can be
- just water
- half cup water with half cup of buttermilk and 2 egg whites (or whole egg)

I have used all these combinations and all are equally good. The pancakes are fluffy, soft and filling. Use buttermilk, egg whites for the pancakes and drizzle blueberry mapple syrup to make it a complete wholeshome breakfast
This pancake mix goes to the Wholesome breakfast Event hosted by Mansi.

27 Comments:

At 1:59 PM PDT , Blogger Mansi said...

Thanks Revathi! that looks like one stack of delicious pancakes! a great addition to the WBB event, I'm sure:)

 
At 2:04 PM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

The pancakes look really delicious with the syrup over them

 
At 2:07 PM PDT , Blogger ranji said...

a simple pancake made delicious with the delicious sauce!!truly mouth watering:)

 
At 2:08 PM PDT , Blogger Pooja said...

lovely healthy dish indeed .
Thank for sharing a healthy recipe for this , it is completely new to me, I am just on my way to plan healthy meals for each day and I can see healthy dishes around , first it was Deeba- a passionate baker and now its you. thanks a lot, I bookmarked it .

 
At 2:09 PM PDT , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

yumoyum!

 
At 2:15 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohhh can I drool over here for sometime. Those are some lovely pancakes. I am fond of pancakes and in a healthy way how could I resist.

 
At 2:39 PM PDT , Blogger Uma said...

They look simply delicious. Nice entry.

 
At 2:48 PM PDT , Blogger bee said...

lovely. it's worth mentioning that steel cut oats are always wholegrain, other oats are not always wholegrain. quaker oats is wholegrain. it says "100% wholegrain" on the box.

 
At 2:50 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look good. I will have to give them a try.

 
At 3:36 PM PDT , Blogger Kalai said...

Revathi, those look like they came from IHOP! Actually, much better than that... Can't wait to try this out! :)

 
At 4:05 PM PDT , Blogger TBC said...

That's a very nice looking stack of pancakes. I have tried "designer" oats and don't care much for it. Oats dosa is worth a shot.:-).
I've used powdered oats in muffins too...

 
At 5:19 PM PDT , Blogger Cham said...

The syrup and pancake look wonderful :)

 
At 5:38 PM PDT , Blogger indosungod said...

believe you Revathi :) Looks great, I am firmly in the camp that oats have to lose their original oaty texture to be edible!! this is great recipe in disguise.

 
At 8:11 PM PDT , Blogger Lavanya Raj said...

Your Pancake certainly overtook others.. Nice one..dhool kilappareenga!!

aruvaa meesai.koduva paarvai kku thanks..

 
At 10:12 PM PDT , Blogger Srivalli said...

looks great revathi....you can send this to my Dosa Mela too...

 
At 10:36 PM PDT , Blogger Suganya said...

If this can convince Revathi, then it oughta be good. Thanks for the tip. Oats dosa, it is :)

 
At 11:55 PM PDT , Blogger TheCooker said...

oats dosa...I'm sold.

 
At 12:45 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...healthy pancakes!!! Great entry :)

 
At 1:15 AM PDT , Blogger Raaga said...

lovely stack :-)

 
At 4:51 AM PDT , Blogger Sushma said...

this is perfect balanced food good entry for the event

 
At 8:45 AM PDT , Blogger Dee said...

wow revathi!! Pancakes with oats. Its surely a must try!!

 
At 2:12 PM PDT , Blogger Sreelu said...

hmm hmm hmm delicious :)

 
At 7:55 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks lovely Revathi. I might actually have all the ingredients at home and would love to try it soon.

Mamatha

 
At 5:00 AM PDT , Blogger Deeba PAB said...

Hey Revathi..I really love the idea of these pancakes. My husband is going to be in 7th heaven...I've bookmarked this!!

 
At 9:18 AM PDT , Blogger mallugirl said...

hmm.. a good recipe,...ur pancakes really look fluffy!

 
At 10:55 PM PDT , Blogger Srividya said...

Hi Revathi,
Your pancakes look lovely. By the way r you from Coimbatore?

 
At 6:10 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heyy Revathi.. Mouth-watering dish. I can't wait for the other recipes. Thnx!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home