Saturday, March 01, 2008

Quick Bread for Quick weekday Breakfast

Quickbread are bread which does not use yeast and are leavened by baking powder and baking soda. They dont take much time to rise like yeast. Banana nut bread, corn bread, muffin are all quickbreads. ( Source : wiki ).

I am not at allll a baker, in fact I have bought a packet of yeast and its sitting in the pantry for a while waiting for me to make Ashas muffuletta.

This is my entry to Suganyas healthy breakfast .Besan dosai, which I blogged a couple of years ago, is also a great breakfast and will suit this event.

With absolutely no oil, no eggyolks, whole wheat flour I am not claiming that this will be the most fluffiest quickbread you have ever had, but it certainly is filling, indulging and a great snack. I can carry a couple of the slices to have it on my way to office as a breakfast or to hold my hunger till dinner.

This recipe is for my SIL C, who is trying to eat healthy.

1. Get the dry ingredients together.
half a cup of whole wheat flour, half a cup of all purpose flour, 3/4th tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, half tsp baking powder

2. Get the wet ingredients. This should be a cup
Puree one medium size apple, two ripe bananas. Add two egg whites and the sweetener
Sweetener: I have used different sweeteners, 3/4 cup refined sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup home-made palm sugar syrup with two tsp gulgand.

3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients until smooth. You can any nuts if you want to. Pour into a loaf-pan. Fill only three fourths.

4. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 50 mins.

5. Cool, slice and store in ziplocs.

Ready for oven-Gulgand-almonds quickbread

Quickbread with Walnuts.

To give character to this bread you can put different set of ingredients,

walnuts or slivered almonds for texture
raisins
gulgand ( reduce the sweetener way down )
grated carrot

I started using the applesauce in this kind of bread after seeing jugalbandi's Oatmeal raisin cake.

SRA has tagged me for a meme Seven random/wierd things about me. I am sure Ravi will do a greattt job at writing 70 wierd things about me.

1. Sometimes when I leave my apartment, I wonder whether the stove has been switched off. A while ago, we went to visit our friends in Santaclara for a potluck. While we were near the Santaclara freeway exist, I raised this doubt that I was not sure whether the stove was off and made Ravi drive back all the way to Fremont to confirm that the stove was off indeed.

2. When I am home alone I need the TV on the entire night. Either Food Network or HGTV should be running. Nothing scarry.

3. It requires lot of motivational speech from Ravi and some self-motivation not to freak out during flight journeys. I closed my eyes and prayed hard most of the flying time in a helicopter in Hawaii.

4. I love to eat sambar rice with apple, rasam rice with bananas.

5. I dont drive on freeways. An accident scared me enough to select "Avoid highways" option in google maps any time I drive. I ended up driving for almost double the driving time for the Bay Area Foodies meet.

6. When I was a kid, I had the habit of saying bye to the plants and trees in my home if I am going away for a few days. Recently when I went to India, I spoke to all the plants in my apartment about my vacation. Unfortunately there was a family emergency and Ravi had to leave suddenly to India too and the plants did not the survive two months.

7. I am always at extremes. I will be eating minimally processed, organic fat-free, low-carb, not-spicy food one day and soon you will find me stuffing a jacks' spicy chicken sandwich !

I am not sure how many of you are already been tagged as this meme has been around for a longgg time. Do it if you wanna

1. Ashwini
2. Shaheen
3. The taste-tinkerer
4. A-Kay
5. The-Cooker
6. Paajaka
7. Sreelu

18 Comments:

At 10:35 AM PST , Blogger Kalai said...

I love quick breads, too! Sounds delicious, Revathi! Nice learning more abt you, too! :)

 
At 10:43 AM PST , Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

Yum.. I will make it this week :)

 
At 11:57 AM PST , Blogger Uma said...

Lovely bread! Nice presentation. Loved reading your meme. It gave me the chance to know more about you.

 
At 12:04 PM PST , Blogger FH said...

I love quick breads too although real bread does tastes way better. Looks delcious there!
WOW! Great MeMe!! You have got some real "issues" girl!:D
Rasam with bananas!!Ahh..!!!

 
At 1:05 PM PST , Blogger bee said...

hi, fellow fremonter! we used to live there. miss that place. gulkand is a fantastic idea.

 
At 1:35 PM PST , Blogger Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Loved reading your Meme... and the quick bread looks really good!

 
At 1:55 PM PST , Blogger TheCooker said...

Nice!
Like to idea of adding gulkand.
Rasam and bananas? Come on!!!
Not to worry...I have several of my own gems.

 
At 4:11 PM PST , Blogger Mythreyee said...

sambar with apples and rasam with bananas...really revathi????????

 
At 5:22 PM PST , Blogger Sreelu said...

Revs I am on with you on 1st and tv part , boy how many have I wondered if the stove is switched of or not always scares me. HGTV and food Tv are always on all the while I work in the night. nice bread receipe.

 
At 12:07 AM PST , Blogger Unknown said...

quick bread looks so lovely and delicious..

 
At 12:58 PM PST , Blogger Cham said...

Quick bread looks so yum :)

 
At 2:03 PM PST , Blogger Sig said...

Wow, the bread looks great Revathi! Nice reading your meme, I can identify with #1. I worry about my hair straightner being on all the time, and have gone back home to check on it multiple times.. It was plugged in once, that made me worry even more every other time... :) I spent so much money on the darn thing, they didn't put in an automatic cut off :(

 
At 7:22 PM PST , Blogger Shah cooks said...

sambar rice with apples?whew! have u tried ghee rice with small bananas? u might like it.
as for saying bye to inanimate objects, i have said bye to my walls when going on vacation!

 
At 3:19 PM PST , Blogger Suganya said...

Quick breads are a great start. Revathi, Thanks for both the entries. I have to admit that your 7 weird meme is one of the weirdest I have read :D

 
At 6:33 AM PST , Blogger Finla said...

Love the bread.

 
At 11:21 AM PST , Blogger sra said...

Revathi, just saw your meme - was away - I identify with you about the stove, and the rasam, sambar combinations are truly weird!
Having said that, I must say I made apple sambar once when a friend of mine dared me to!

 
At 10:52 PM PST , Blogger Linda said...

Great easy banana bread, Revathi! I don't like anything scary on TV, either :)

 
At 11:58 AM PDT , Blogger Mansi said...

This looks really nice Revathi! I'm hositng WBB-Balanced Breakfasts this month, and it'd be nice to have you send in a delicious entry..something like this bread:)D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home