Saturday, January 06, 2007

Coconut Rice ( Thengai saadam )

Coconut is so much an integral part of cooking at my mom's place. With 7 coconut trees, not a single day passed without coconut in our food. Kurma, poriyal, kozhambu all had coconut in it. With the surplus coconut we would make coconut oil and my dad always insisted that Dosais have to be drizzled wtih coconut oil. There area a number of dishes made with coconut that I absolutely love

  • * coconut milk ( thengai paal ) - the ultimate combo with aapam
  • * aviyal ( a to-die for blend of veggies in coconut milk
  • * amma's mutton kurma ( mutton stew with coconut milk )
  • * thengai paal saadam - rice cooked in coconut milk and spices
  • * Illaneer ( water from the tender coconut )
  • * Coconut Chutneys
  • * Coconut barfi



Coconut rice ( Thengai saadam ) - JFI- Coconut

So obviously selecting a recipe for JFI was not easy. I chose coconut rice for JFI because it was the fall back recipe that my amma always did when she was short of ideas for the lunch box. I love this recipe for its simplicity too. Its ideal recipe to whip up quickly.

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a kadai or wok. Season with a teaspoon each of cumin, uraddal, channa dal, mustard and curry leaves. Once the mustard pops, add finely chopped 8 pearl onions ( or 1 medium sized onion ). Allow the onions to become soft and translucent. Saute for about 8 to 10 minutes. Add a cup of shredded coconut and continue to saute for 5 minutes. Switch off the stove and add two teaspoon of freshly ground black/white pepper. Add a cup to cup and half of cooked/cooled rice to the mixture. Enjoy with mint chutney.

15 Comments:

At 3:43 AM PST , Blogger sra said...

very nice photo, revathi, brings out the look and feel of coconut rice as I know it!

 
At 6:23 AM PST , Blogger USHA said...

Hi Revathi,

Its looksyummy and good entry for JFI.Even my hubby likes coconut, i use to prepare same rice atleast 2 times in month...

 
At 6:24 AM PST , Blogger Lakshmik said...

Hi Revathi

I love Coconut rice and this used to be a regular recipe for my lunch box when I was working in India. Thanks for the recipe.

 
At 6:16 PM PST , Blogger Chandrika said...

Hi Revathi,

Wish you and your family a very Happy New Year!

Coconut Saadam looks very inviting and the prawn curry brings back memories of home... That's the way my mom makes it too...

 
At 4:59 AM PST , Blogger jacob said...

God...that makes my mouth water! yummy!

 
At 4:50 AM PST , Blogger FH said...

Looks absolutely wonderful,very nice picture too.I am thrilled you are Revathi!:)

 
At 7:35 PM PST , Blogger archana said...

I love almost everything that you have in the list, could you please please blog about Thengappal sadam? Loved the pic, thank you for the recipe.

 
At 2:22 AM PST , Blogger Pooja said...

Hi Revathi ,
this looks so tempting.
i love this .! picture is too good .
thanks for sharing
-Pooja

 
At 11:56 AM PST , Blogger Gattina Cheung said...

Yes, simply yet delicious! And this pic is gorgeous!

 
At 5:07 PM PST , Blogger Shah cooks said...

Revathi, convey my thanks to ur mom!Love ur easy coconut rice..I have tried it like this.I am always relying on the coconut milk to add the flavor!This probabaly tastes crunchy, right?

 
At 5:22 PM PST , Blogger Revathi said...

Thanks SRA, Usha, Lakshmi, jacob, asha, pooja, gattina, mallugirl for your comments

Chandrika thanks for the comments. I was very nostalgic too.

Archana I will surely do it and post the recipe

 
At 1:45 PM PST , Blogger Unknown said...

Revathy thanks for visiting...
Romba nalla dishes.Thengai sadam superb...adding onion is new to me.Hope you would post more on gramathu virunthu.I used watch and cook Paravai muniyamma's recipes.After moving here to IL, i couldn't get dish..so no Sun tv..hope to get recipes thru you...Thanks..

 
At 8:43 PM PST , Blogger Viji said...

Happy Pongal Revathi

 
At 10:16 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Revathy

Coconut Rice looks very delicious.
Here is another version which I like to pack for my kids lunch:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/16256-post35.html

 
At 6:54 AM PDT , Blogger Kesar said...

Hi Revathi,
You can add 2 tsp lemon juice to this along with cooking rice in diluted cocunut water. It makes it even more delicious.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home